Recent Posts

by mgrayson, 3 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 4 Views: 115

Ikawa Greens for Ikawa Home Roaster

Yes. If I'd ever learned patience, I would have roasted the sample pack one or two profiles at a time and watched the beans evolve. Well, in a week or two, I'll see which ones look more interesting and I'll focus. I'm definitely doing the "10 pounds of Guatemalan" exercise, but that will be in parallel with one of the...
by MNate, 27 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 116

Decent DE1XL or DE1XXL? Or Synesso Home?

I have the XL. You can adjust the steam flow rate and many of us have actually turned it down to .6 or .8ml/s, sacrificing about 5 seconds of speed on 100 grams of milk in favor of finer micro foam. (I'm at 25seconds for 100g). So I wouldn't even use more speed. I once had a machine that could...
by LindoPhotography, 34 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 6 Views: 184

Is the 1Zpresso K-Plus magnetic container better than that of the J-Max?

I've only had one shot on a friends JX Pro, and I have a k-plus, so I have experience with that one, but from what I've heard and what I can tell the K series burrs are designed to be a bit more consistent and uni-modal which I don't think is totally possible with a conical burr grinder but it...
by luvmy40, 43 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 1111 Views: 102459

G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder

Here's the one I'm using. {link}
by mkane, Today, 8:23 pm in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 4 Views: 115

Ikawa Greens for Ikawa Home Roaster

Keep tasting daily. That's where the fun is. How they change day to day
by ShotClock, Today, 8:21 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 116

Decent DE1XL or DE1XXL? Or Synesso Home?

The decent website has a detailed comparison of their machines, but here is my understanding: The pro and xl are the same machine, but the xl is slightly larger for the sake of having an extra cosmetic panel on the back. There is also a slightly larger steam wand. I have the xl, and would have bought the pro if...
by mkane, Today, 8:21 pm in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 27 Views: 1082

Coffee going from tasty to lifeless in hours or max few days

Our coffee changes all along the period from 12hrs post-roast until it's gone. usually six days with 340g. There are days in between it does taste lifeless. Second day or 3rd.
by Newton123, Today, 7:29 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 1421 Views: 89227

Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on

Just thought I'd post on a steam problem I just fixed. My steam quality had been slowly deteriorating for months for no clear reason, and then finally the steam went completely south - pump running a lot and more water than steam. Turned out the wire on one of the probes was corroded and might actually have been completely detached...
by cafeIKE, Today, 7:22 pm in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 6 Views: 150

Good espresso/barista in Los Angeles?

Negatory on Luxxe unless you like burnt. Also can be very inconsistent. The A-#1 best spot 5 years ago was Stumptown downtown. Most consistent of any of the dozens I visited when I lived in LaLa Land.