Recent Posts

by Jeff, 6 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 13 Views: 245

Help me understand the nuances- HX vs boilers

PI -- "preinfusion" -- a long-standing term talking about the basket-fill and soak period before the pressure is raised in the basket for the mani extraction of a typical espresso shot. Control over PI allows one to "play tricks" with more challenging coffees, typically lighter roasts, to make choices that would ordinarily choke the machine or favor channeling. These "tricks"
by iyayy, 22 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 815 Views: 83747

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

thanks. got it down to about 8.7bar. clockwise tighten, counter lowers. a bit lower than i hoped, but gonna try stick to this settings for awhile. pulled once, flow ramps to 8 and brews beautiful. reason is with my ssp shots dont flow well.. even with manual preinfusion until initial drip shots will continue to rise in pressure
by Otaibimn, 29 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 17 Views: 603

Burr size difference in taste

I can concur that having bigger burrs will lead to better espressos. But you are sacrificing body for more clarity. You will get a hit in milk based drinks
by bonjing, 41 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 31 Views: 2094

Niche Zero: To RDT or Not to RDT

Even if it is known to rust, is it the Niche or is it the Mazzer burrs? With my lack of knowledge, I'm guessing there can be so many variables that can cause or eliminate static that I don't think there is one bean, roast or grinder that will completely eliminate it. Like I said lack of knowledge on
by Otaibimn, 44 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 80 Views: 7846

Kopi Deva single-dose grinder

First impressions after using it for a couple of days: Pros: 1- Workflow is decent (Far better than the DF64 that's for sure). a- Calibrate and hold the setting the knob (If you don't tighten it, it will play and lose the setting during grind). b- Weight your beans and RDT
by ira, 46 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 6 Views: 44

Nouva Simonelli Oscar 2 turn on issue

The water level sensor is commonly just a piece of wire stuck through what commonly is a white plastic insulator. If the pump is not turning on it means that piece of wire is conducting electricity to the boiler shell. If it looks like what I'm describing, very gently see if you can turn the connector and if it turns
by yakster, 48 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 2 Views: 105

Coffee Grind app - for analyzing your grinder's distribution

Looks like all the coffee grind analysis are shared to all app users
by Jeff, 52 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 11 Views: 173

Any owner of an E61 dual-boiler (w/PID) who finds temperature stability inadequate?

It would be interesting to know "what changed" with Shot 10 and later. Taken as two groups, assuming that "something changed", then the repeatability looks reasonable to me. Without looking into what changed, it's hard to draw conclusions
by yakster, 56 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 2 Views: 32

Gifted a broken Rocket Appartmento - Help Requested

Nice upgrade!
by chanty 77, Today, 2:03 pm in Coffees
Replies: 5 Views: 187

Nicoletti Espresso

Where did you find $14 a pound for the Malabar Gold? I checked on their website & noticed their 2 lb. offer is available at $22.50 a lb., so $45 for 2 lbs. I've never tried it because of the cost per lbs & they don't very often have the 2 lb. availability. I think you can