Recent Posts

by rbax238, 3 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 0 Views: 3

Flow Control HIgh Flow Rate Issue aka Loss of Graduation

Recently I found my Flow Control behaving oddly, and the only posts I've found anywhere that appear to addressing the same issue is "Flow Control Issue with ECM Synchronika" thread here (now closed for comments). I think I've found what's behind the issue on my machine and thought I should share it. Here's how the FC always worked previously:
by bonjing, 9 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 33 Views: 2117

Niche Zero: To RDT or Not to RDT

Very good point! Would we not see the effects of a dulled burr in the shot? I'm guessing consistently channeling no matter how fine of a grind? Might be easier to see in espresso vs coarser pour over/brew? Edit: Could this be the reason that a lot of people
by ColoPuka, 9 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 0 Views: 0

Softening water in Colorado Springs

I am (probably) upgrading to plumbed in La Spaziale mini Vivaldi and I'm looking at filtering/softening my water using either BWT or Homeland filters. Using Varify brand test strips my parameters appear to be: Total Hardness 1.5 gpg/25 ppm CaCO3 Total chlorine 0.5 Alkalinity 0-20 (the color is between the 0 and the next choice 20
by GregoryJ, 13 minutes ago in Coffees
Replies: 6 Views: 198

Nicoletti Espresso

You have to order the 5 lb quantity {link}
by JRising, 19 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 4 Views: 138

Hexagon shaped portafilter basket

Pretty deep for an ESE pod, but I have no idea what the group looks like. Maybe it extends well into the basket. Though, if true, that explains the tamp-proof design and brings us back to "I'd like a teabag of very old coffee, what a stupid idea"
by cebseb, 20 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 20 Views: 470

Favourite espresso machine repair tools

Performance Tool W5239 Polymer Viton O-Ring Assortment, Brown, 180 Pieces, 9mm-20mm {link} Not technically a tool, but this set has saved me time and money several times over the years
by Jeff, 23 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 33 Views: 2117

Niche Zero: To RDT or Not to RDT

Like knives, where it isn't the side of the blade that "rust" will cause them to cut poorly, the concern would be on the cutting edge of the burrs. Even if you don't "see rust" on the cutting edge, it is very possible that the edge has been dulled as soft iron oxide (rust) has worn off and revealed
by CarefreeBuzzBuzz, 37 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 10 Views: 436

Bag Sellers - who do you like? what models?

So PackPlus came back and said that they would make my bags, but price is now $305 vs the 227 for 500. I do like their another bag they have, different dimensions, wider and shorter, that is $326 a case. I may go for that at this point. But like the price of greens, up, up and
by Jeff, 44 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 13 Views: 259

Help me understand the nuances- HX vs boilers

PI -- "preinfusion" -- a long-standing term talking about the basket-fill and soak period before the pressure is raised in the basket for the main extraction of a typical espresso shot. Control over PI allows one to "play tricks" with more challenging coffees, typically lighter roasts, to make choices that would ordinarily choke the machine or favor channeling. These "tricks"
by iyayy, Today, 2:45 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 815 Views: 83754

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

thanks. got it down to about 8.7bar. clockwise tighten, counter lowers. a bit lower than i hoped, but gonna try stick to this settings for awhile. pulled once, flow ramps to 8 and brews beautiful. reason is with my ssp shots dont flow well.. even with manual preinfusion until initial drip shots will continue to rise in pressure