Recent Posts

by PIXIllate, less than a minute ago in Coffees
Replies: 37 Views: 1479

What is a good, well rounded starter coffee

Try Blackout and Gamma from Hatch. Best roaster in Canada as far as I'm concerned. And I've tried most of them. Including Milano. They're very expensive, no roast dates on the bags, high shipping and to be honest just nothing really great in the cup
by PIXIllate, 4 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 11 Views: 297

E61 Preinfusion

I'd love to hear your take on using bottom papers under a puck and why the flow seems to be so different and seemingly increases extraction around the edges of the puck. You know, since you're offering
by DavC, 15 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 2 Views: 26

SSP HU & Cast 64mm

Thanks Lobin, I should have posted there. You are right, maybe I am looking at the wrong direction but also trying to be greedy to find something that has that body and providing good clarity
by LObin, 20 minutes ago in Grinders

SSP HU & Cast 64mm

Why start a new thread on the same subject? Why not simply ask the question in the thread you've started a few days ago? "The best thick body 64mm flat burrs?" I notice that you've gotten many good answers and valuable suggestions, yet you didn't answer back and start a new thread. I will
by Jake_G, 43 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 11 Views: 297

E61 Preinfusion

Bernoulli would not agree. Sorry. "flow coefficient" of valves and orifices describes these losses well. You are referring to the venturi effect, which is also occurring and is independent of friction. Bernoulli states that as a fluid speeds up it exchanges static pressure for velocity pressure. This is recoverable. Friction losses are not, and these are the losses
by DavC, 49 minutes ago in Grinders

SSP HU & Cast 64mm

I've been searching and searching but can't seem to find anyone with first hand experience comparing the SSP HU to Cast lab sweets and the stock italmill df64 burrs for espresso. I would really like to know as I am looking for more texture/syrupy body over the stock italmills
by OK31, 51 minutes ago in Coffees

So are the true Italian roasts better at lower doses to begin with? Have you tried this in a 18g or 21g baskets with same ratio? Just curious what that might do and only asking because I do predominantly enjoy a milk drink and at the smaller ratio of an already small dose it feels like there's a
by Jeff, 59 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 9 Views: 172

Help me understand the nuances- HX vs boilers

Personal opinion, reasonably unvarnished, which may not suit you and your tastes, but you asked. I've been making espresso a long time, prefer light roasts, find Italian espresso unrewarding, and am very picky. I can afford to take risks on a machine and neither go coffee-less or hungry if a $1,000 machine isn't as good as I'd hope. 1)
by OK31, 59 minutes ago in Coffees

That's a steep shipping fee and the pudding is sold out what luck
by Jake_G, Today, 10:13 pm in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 31 Views: 957

La Marzocco Linea Mini EMP Mod

[B]Everyone is better off with a manual lever