Recent Posts

by Jake_G, 7 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 53 Views: 1259

VST basket size and grind volume are at odds

Yes, but remember, in your example below, the next "layer" of the puck will see about 8.4 bar (9 -0.6 bar):So each layer has roughly the same relative liquid pressure gradient acting on is as another layer, but each subsequent layer deeper in the puck has to support all the layers above. It is the flow through the puck
by boren, 12 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 437 Views: 60139

Lelit Elizabeth Owner Experience

@Pflunz - isn't it technically possible to temporarily shutter tank-to-boiler water passage while extracting coffee, and then re-open that passage and block boiler-to-grouphead water passage while pumping cold water into the boiler? I'm not saying any machine works this way, but maybe they should. Temperature stability throughout extraction should improve when water in the boiler remains at the sa...
by Nunas, 25 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 6 Views: 71

Rocket Appartamento shuts off after two minutes

+1 about John's advice. Moreover, not only is there a 60-second limit on most ULKA pumps, but there's also a duty cycle, 50/50 on most 120-volt ULKAS. That is, for every second you run the pump, you must rest it for the same amount of time. Assuming the pump is the typical ULKA, that is a bare 5-series with no
by Flair Espresso, 32 minutes ago in Marketplace
Replies: 69 Views: 4069

Flair Espresso news

Wanted to share with our H-B friends that we've partnered with Option-O on a giveaway going on now through Monday the 23rd at 3 pm EDT. Winner will receive a PRO2 and Lagom Mini grinder, a perfect pairing for espresso at home, the office or on the go. To enter the contest, head here >> {link} << Good
by BaristaBob, 37 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 6 Views: 340

Comparing Monolith MC3 to MC4 and beyond

I'm with Dave...I'd like to know how my second generation MC (straight drop/68mm TiN burrs) compares in the cup to the MC3 (tilt and 3mm larger burrs) and MC4 (tilt/pre "grind"/controlled feeding)? Any comparo's out there?
by Nunas, 38 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 2 Views: 25

Turning a cheap "steam espresso" machine into an electric steamer?

You may find that there is a steam tip on the end of the metal. On several Breville models, the pannarello is just a metal sleeve around a standard steaming wand. Good luck!
by Pflunz, 39 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 437 Views: 60139

Lelit Elizabeth Owner Experience

Please reevaluate your statement. The brew boiler is completely filled with water, and in order to make an espresso, the pump has to pump cold water into the boiler, to press the hot water out
by 999mor, 41 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 93 Views: 4815

Hacking the DF64 exit chute

Tried printing the button pusher in sla printer but it's keeps failing, the 2 parts always stuck together, I'm not sure if it's because of the sla or the file, because it's in .step needed to convert it to stl, tried couple of times, tried short exposure, but they are joined together. Is in doomed to fail on sla? Maybe
by Randy G., 46 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods

You might be best served by purchasing a replacement wand from a known espresso machine manufacturer which has various tips available and silver soldering it to that wand so that 'standard' tips can be used
by boren, 53 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods

I just won a bid for a no-pump steam-based "espresso" machine ("Salter EK3131") and I plan to experiment with it as a dedicated milk steaming device. I figure that with a 240ml boiler and an 870W heating element it should be able to steam milk reasonably well. I could be wrong, but for the 25 GBP I paid for it