Recent Posts

by _Ryan_, 2 minutes ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 7 Views: 194

Hario Air pourover kettle and microwave safety

Fair enough, I preheat (somewhat) the metal jug with hot tap water. With a thermometer on the jug I'm pouring the bloom at ~95deg, second pour at 90deg.
by BruceWayne, 10 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 4 Views: 116

Puck screen experience?

I had been doing a weekly Cafiza soak. I recently picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and there was a dramatic difference in residue and oil from the older of the two screens I use, so the weekly Cafiza soak will become a regular Cafiza/ultrasound soak.
by spacon4, 12 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 716 Views: 61396

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

Forgive the naive question, but what exactly is the water filter that is provided with the new BDB's useful for? If I intend on using distilled or R/O gallons of water, then mixing with Third Wave Water Espresso profile, should I still use that filter? FWIW, my tap water tests "mildly hard", even though I don't intend on using it...thanks!
by dandua98, 13 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 0 Views: 4

Normcore tamper V4 - am I using it wrong?

So I've been using a Normcore tamper for a while and noticed something strange recently. I've been trying to dial in a very light roast for espresso, so have to go quite a bit finer than usual on my grinder (DF64). I was getting pretty decent shots at what would is the setting 14.5 on DF64, with 20in-45out in 39s...
by spacon4, 17 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 716 Views: 61396

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

From researching this thread, among others, it seems that the following is a reasonable maintenance program for my new BDB...am I missing anything? Besides following the automated cleaning instructions that the BDB will prompt (and using the Breville cleaning tablets), should I be using "other" cleaning supplies/agents (e.g. Cafiza)? DAILY • Flush the screen in between every shot • Backflush...
by dsc106, 43 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 15 Views: 371

Dual grinder combo: Niche Zero (espresso) & Baratza Vario+ Steel Burr (filter) - thoughts?

Did this hold equally true for you in both filter and espresso?
by Jeff, 47 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 25 Views: 925

Best espresso machine for light roasts?

A BDB will pull good shots out of the box. Tinkering is just to be able to have more control over flow. You're being seduced by "flat" without taking the time to understand what that entails, both good and bad, as well as which grinders are classic flats and which are modern. A modern flat and an inexperienced barista without...
by K7, 56 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 14 Views: 307

Help Eureka Mignon Specialita issues

Of course. When grind is too fine for a given puck thickness, it chokes the machine. Without long PI, you cannot extract. With long enough PI, it softens up the puck and you can then get some flow. Long PI is a mere necessity for extra fine grind, not a goal in itself. Like Jeff said above, light roasts need...
by Nasame2546, Today, 10:22 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 3 Views: 119

Expobar Brewtus IV issues.

Thanks so much!!!!!!
by pcdawson, Today, 10:13 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 3 Views: 183

Acaia Lunar flow mode

Does anyone know if the flow mode is simply a firmware upgrade that you can add to a pre 2020/21 model? Or is there new hardware as well?