Recent posts

by Capuchin Monk
11 minutes ago
Forum: Coffees
Replies: 3
Views: 102

Espresso coffee comes out worse than before.

That's possible. Old roasts tend to have less crema than fresh roast. The expiration date shown may not be faithfully chosen. Any roast older than 1 - 1.5 month is... "over the hill", "past its prime". That's why I do my own roasting so that I know what the real expiration
by pcrussell50
16 minutes ago
Forum: Espresso Machines
Replies: 1392
Views: 192359

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

Air bubbles coming out the anit-vac valve and all your other symptoms point to a not-sealing anti-vac. Could be what cmin has experienced and the o-ring has failed. But before you resort to disassembly, (even though it is super easy), give it a tap with something hard like a small hammer... a tap, not a smash, or several taps, in
Advertisement
by JRising
23 minutes ago
Forum: Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 1
Views: 12

Letit Anna; steam leaking from the group head

Boiler water/steam is either leaking through the brew valve (which you might see as movement in the tube moving toward the center of the boiler) or past the pipe in the boiler (which you might see as movement moving away from the center of the boiler or perhaps just escaping out through the group). You could remove/inspect/clean and reinstall
by JRising
31 minutes ago
Views: 56

Short circuit La Marzocco Linea Classic AV

It's a dual boiler machine. It's going to heat an empty brew boiler and destroy its element if you do something like that. The pop was probably the element rupturing and the smoke was probably from what-all got burnt. I agree with Dave C's "Open it and see how bad it is" opinion
by mathof
58 minutes ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 11
Views: 540

La Marzocco Swan

One of the roasters exhibiting at the London Coffee Festival earlier this month was using a Swan. He was very unhappy with the shape of the hopper, saying that he had to keep toying with the beans to get them to drop properly into the grinder
by gscace
1 hour ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 11
Views: 540

La Marzocco Swan

Do you have a compilation of that work anywhere? I'm interested in your procedure and what you define as retention. I've always taken retention to be the ground coffee that causes shot to shot dose variation, which is pretty easy to measure in single dose grinders. I've always figured that stray coffee that got packed off into
by BaristaBoy E61
1 hour ago
Forum: Espresso Machines
Replies: 4
Views: 144

Leave espresso machine on during descaling?

Monitor & photograph your results for reference as colour is an indicator of scale present and your progress
by mikel
1 hour ago
Views: 56

Short circuit La Marzocco Linea Classic AV

If the boilers aren't filled with water, and you send electricity to the heating elements, things will go pop?
by Trjelenc
1 hour ago
Forum: Coffee Roasting
Replies: 44
Views: 1883

Hacea Coffee Impressions

Decided I would give Hacea a try. Yesterday I ordered 3 coffees, 5.5kg. Would be interested to know if anyone else has had these: Guatemala Palencia Finca La Pia La Aurora Washed {link} I love a good Guatemala and their description was very enticing. I'll be very happy if this is a coffee with chocolate notes at
by bznelson91
1 hour ago
Forum: Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 17
Views: 357

General question about handling cafe drink quality

@Sideshow, I agree with you. However, there ARE places that are super dedicated to the craft of coffee. I put out a call here a few weeks ago for top coffee shops in Dallas, and someone mentioned Native Coffee. They have three different espresso choices available, grind them with a Lagom P64, baristas are definite coffee geeks etc. The places