Recent Posts

by Rickpatbrown, 25 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 132 Views: 3534

Learning to roast in the Neapolitan style

I just got some Saka Gran Bar and Top Select from the group buy. I finally have a reference for what you guys are talking about. I've only pulled two shots of the Gran Bar. The first, normale, was pretty gross. Roasty and bitter. I down dosed, used lower temp and stopped at ristretto and it was much better. Still...
by jasiano, 38 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 6 Views: 133

I can't do it :-( Every shot of espresso tastes bitter

I think you have sort of nailed it on the head yourself (along with the previous poster). Pure espresso without milk/lots of water to dilute it by its nature will have bitter notes, and acidic notes, and sweet notes... in varying proportions. What you perceive as overly bitter maybe just the taste of that bean anyway. I would probably suggest...
by daggerNC, 57 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques

Thanks @Smitward for the Gray Squirrel recommendation, I'll try to get some from them. My local roasters (I like to support local if I can) are Cultivate (Fuquay) and 5StarRoasters (Holly Springs), and I've tried their espresso blends and wasn't successful, and have been trying a number of single origins from them, but as my Thread title suggests - still...
by daggerNC, Today, 10:19 pm in Tips and Techniques

Fair question, as I think I only tried pure espresso once or twice before, at that was a long time ago and it wasn't very good back then. But I've had some really outstanding latte's and Cappuccino's in the past. So, I may never wind up being a pure shot-only kind of espresso drinker, but I need to learn what...
by Smitward, Today, 10:12 pm in Tips and Techniques

Since you're in NC, Gray Squirrel in Carrboro has a classic style espresso blend that is easier to dial in for me than some of the stuff from counter culture or little waves. I really like both counter culture and little waves but the Main Street blend from Gray squirrel is a great blend that you can really get to...
by DamianWarS, Today, 10:02 pm in Grinders
Replies: 29 Views: 3625

1Zpresso J-Max review

I'm a little confused over this as well with reviews even leaning toward an espresso focus and the JX-Pro a better option for brew. The burr geometry to me looks very similar to the JX-Pro, if not identical, and I get the MAX is designed for espresso but why is the JX-Pro apparently a better grinder for filter and the...
by brickbot, Today, 10:00 pm in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 3 Views: 80

Channeling on new Ceado E37S - with and without WDT

@jdrobinson: Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's not specific to the bean - I've been pulling shots for months on this roast. It did occur to me that I'm onto a new bag that I haven't ground in the Virtuoso yet, so I'll double check that and report back if it's got similar problems. That's a great idea to look...
by Sib, Today, 9:47 pm in Tips and Techniques

Perhaps you just don't like espresso, and prefer milk drinks/filter/some other form of coffee? How often have you drunk an espresso and thought: "That was lovely!"..?
by vrosalescfd, Today, 9:21 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 13 Views: 401

Finding temperature offset from boiler to grouphead

Hello In my case I attached the probe between one of the screw heads and the boiler wall show in the image. {image} The original image is here: {link} I found the bottom screws more confortable to place the long metal probe. Be sure to make good contact of the tip of the probe with the metal of the boiler.
by graphidz, Today, 9:10 pm in Grinders
Replies: 149 Views: 31787

New Eureka Mignon Single Dose Grinder

Tried one today at a local reseller and to be honest it's not up to the hype. Maybe it's a preproduction unit (which I do hope it is). The sales rep showed me the inside and what their impressions were and they also said it's a good grinder just with any Eureka grinder. But nothing special really. Too bad they...