Recent Posts

by LObin, 10 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 125 Views: 8178

Hacking the DF64 exit chute

That's correct. Per Joe Kolb at Espresso Outlet, who's pretty much the only seller that keeps updating the DF64 info on his website ... the newest batch has an improved upper burr carrier, new font on the dial, updated burr screws, burr seals, metal grind indicator, updated switch as well as an updated declumper (I haven't seen a
by klee11mtl, 26 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 7 Views: 150

$1500ish budget for new or used semiautomatic espresso machine

For variety, here's some less known options for a new machine in that range based on your criteria. Diletta Mio. Be aware it's a brand new gen 1 machine designed by Seattle Coffee Gear but is apparently manufactured by Quickmill. Your location shows as Seattle so you have the benefit of direct local support. You can visit their Kirkland
by Jeff, 30 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 7 Views: 150

$1500ish budget for new or used semiautomatic espresso machine

I'd look into the proven, well-regarded La Spaziale dual-boiler units and understand their current line up. As it isn't a 58 mm group, there are a range of opinions on if that is a "problem" or an "advantage". Once you've made a decision based on the merits of the machine, "iDrinkCoffee has several on sale right now". They
by yakster, 33 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 35

La Pavoni premill or La Peppina or Caravel for one and half shot?

Just looking at the machines you listed the La Pavoni gets you the ability to steam milk so that could be an upgrade if you prepare milk drinks. You should be able to use at least 16 grams of coffee which could give you a larger shot. The shot quality is probably similar. The La Peppina has a 45
by MassWineGuy, Today, 12:04 pm in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 238 Views: 24282

Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster

I've had this for a few months with a non Razzo extension. My only downside is that I have to do three or four back to back roasts (w/30 mins intervals) to get a pound of roasted coffee. As for temperature, I just use my eyes and ears to gauge when to end a roast
by wilsonywx, Today, 12:01 pm in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 4 Views: 229

Inverted French Press

The aeropress seems to tick the boxes for an "inverted french press" if you use the "inverted method" . I imagine the french press works reasonably well for most people (especially if they put milk in their coffee so the little fine particles don't matter and may even enhance the texture of the drink) that for the
by Chert, Today, 11:59 am in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 12 Views: 329

Auction lots - roast & learn ? One of a Kind Guatemala

Elsewhere I was told that one is like Pink Bourbon, an ethiopian landrace related, but idk
by Nunas, Today, 11:56 am in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 5 Views: 46

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II produces steam pressure but cold water at grouphead

As far as I know, the Oscar II is a fairly ordinary heat exchanger machine. The only programmable feature on it is dose size; the temperature of the brew is not programmable, as there's no PID. If this is so, then the only things that can affect the temperature of the brew water are the pressurestat and the duration of
by wilsonywx, Today, 11:55 am in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 238 Views: 24282

Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster

Getting onto the SR800 bandwagon. Just placed an order for one with extension tube from home roasting supplies. I have been using a DIY roasting method, involving 2 matching stainless steel hand-sieves shaken over stove flame. I find it extremely tedious to keep shaking that for 15 minutes, my forearms get sore, and I feel irritation from the heat. As
by Marthvader, Today, 11:43 am in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 5 Views: 46

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II produces steam pressure but cold water at grouphead

I've been holding a thermometer on the screen as the water flows out, but I'll give that a shot as well! Thank you