Recent posts

by dancing james
4 minutes ago
Forum: Marketplace
Replies: 1830
Views: 237582

Decent Espresso news

Thank you for the detailed response. The new features make a lot of sense, the steam cutoff when milk is at the correct temp, integrated scales and the faster heat up with quieter pumps. The bengle really appeals because my partner finds the de1 aesthetic challenging, and the wood finish really fits in better in our home
by another_jim
7 minutes ago
Forum: Knockbox
Replies: 1
Views: 8

The genetic history of modern coffee cultivars

Wow! Thanks. This is much better than the articles I've seen previously. The picture you reprint shows how most of the genetic diversity of Arabica lies in Ethiopian varietals. That we knew; but the rest of the article traces the lineages of each of those varietals back to the orginal Canephora/Eugenides cross, which is completely amazing. Someone
Advertisement
by Jake_G
14 minutes ago
Forum: Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 359
Views: 42758

Odyssey Argos owner experience

Another alternative would be to fill it full and then use a syringe of "X" volume to suck the level back down where it belongs. Do this a couple times and figure out how much water needs to be added when the light comes on ought to be easy enough. Let's say you add half a liter of
by CarefreeBuzzBuzz
21 minutes ago
Forum: Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 49
Views: 1495

Niseko, Kyoto, and Tokyo

{image}
by baldheadracing
23 minutes ago
Views: 8

The genetic history of modern coffee cultivars

Published yesterday in Nature Genetics tl;dr: Arabica coffee plants came from Robusta and Eugeniodes a long time ago, and not through human intervention. This work should help in developing future desirable varietals. - {link} {image}
by transit
53 minutes ago
Forum: Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 3
Views: 102

La Marzocco Linea Mini brew boiler overheats the water

Hi, I've had similar issues. Brew boiler over heating and no steam pressure. I had the board replaced by a tech and things were ok for a while. Then both problems reappeared. For the brew boiler a fix that worked so far has been to recrimp the connection plugs of the cables going from the thermostat
by another_jim
56 minutes ago
Forum: Buying Advice
Views: 39

Moving to a flat burr grinder from Sette: what's the best option available in EU right now?

Make a checklist for yourself. 1) are you dong sngle dosing or on demand grinding? 2) Are you using the grinder for espresso and low acid roasts only, or are you going with more acidic roasts and other kinds of brewing. The good news is that 64mm grinders are good for all these options; but you want to know
by EddyQ
1 hour ago
Replies: 19
Views: 504

Caffeine break

Thanks. Yes, it was pretty bad and scary for quite a while. The cardiologists gave up after 9 days of in the hospital and said it likely was a virus. They said it likely was not the Pfizer COVID vaccine that I last had 9 months earlier. IMO, the vaccine does have strong possibilities of being
by Mike-R
1 hour ago
Forum: Tips and Techniques
Replies: 32
Views: 935

Latte Art Diagnosis

(Edited for clarity) Your pour looks like you are gently sliding the pitcher forward. This is too subtle. What you want is to push forward quickly about an inch and immediately pull back in one fluid motion. Think of it as a "shove". Take a look at Emilee's video at 2:38 (embedded below, you will
by JordanK
1 hour ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 6
Views: 179

Any Benefit to Slow Grind Speed

Interested in this as well. I'd love to hear folks weigh in on their experience with varying grind speed on the Kafatek MC6