Recent Posts

by Jonk, 10 minutes ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 21 Views: 479

Using a lazy susan with pourover

After trying it out for a while (had one from IKEA already) I've decided that I like manual swirling better. I feel was surprised to find that a lazy susan seems less repeatable and that I've had worse control. Still a viable option if you cannot easily pick up the brewer, for example if the assembly is heavy or hot...
by PeetsFan, 14 minutes ago in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 2 Views: 24

SCA Expo & Workshops, NOLA, 9/30 - 10/3/22,

Thanks, that's really good to know. Prices vary depending on whether you buy a membership. An exhibits-only pass is $30 A full conference pass is around $350-ish To take a coffee making class it's another $300 each on top of the $350. So far, they haven't published what their non-paying sessions are, so $350 is the same as $30. It...
by pizzaman383, 25 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 1 Views: 46

CMA thermal management

Check out the open source lever thread. Basically, you can heat a plate that you bolt up to the group head.
by jackdaddy, 27 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 17 Views: 1260

Slow pull - 1 minute - excellent?

I second this rule of thumb, though I've have regretted following through with it on more than a few occasions
by luvmy40, 31 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 2 Views: 55

RPavlis or adjust my softened water?

Thanks Pat! I actually watched a Pod Cast today with La Marzocco's water guru. Basically, he said you could, technically raise the alkalinity to counter the chlorides, but it would be at the cost of taste. I think I'll just keep with the RPavlis water for now. $1.06/gal is not that steep when compared to $450.00 initial cost and $120.00/...
by johnX, 55 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 898 Views: 100719

Fellow Ode brew grinder review

Kran ask: Stray beans left in hopper? Yes, quite often. I have to rock the grinder from side to side, to get them all to feed in. Before I was weighing my beans to a tenth of a gram and then finding out there were beans left in the hopper.
by cajunbaseball, Today, 6:17 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 39 Views: 1590

Three E61 espresso machines and cannot decide which to buy

Was making poison out of the machine at first. Chris's folks gave some good advice and now I'm drinking espresso! So far, very happy with the machine and Chris's, but it's been less than a week!
by EspressoZaddy, Today, 6:16 pm in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 14 Views: 505

La Marzocco Linea Mini Water Drain Spout Broke

{image} Holy s#%! This just happened to me too! Tragic in that I just sold me ECM to buy this and I've only had this for a week. Ugh.
by ira, Today, 6:02 pm in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 2 Views: 24

SCA Expo & Workshops, NOLA, 9/30 - 10/3/22,

I'm certain there is value in the sessions. I've only been to two, brewing level one and espresso level one. Not only did I not learn anything significant but they seemed to be teaching some things we've already discarded as not useful or just wrong. Partly because the lessons are intended for people working in or starting shops and sometimes...
by mycatsnameisbernie, Today, 5:33 pm in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 9 Views: 194

E61 Dual Temperature & Pressure Gauge

Hi Howard, thank you for posting this! I found your "post" that describes how you mounted your thermocouple and I have a question about it: It appears the thermocouple is dangling in air between the bottom of the group and the top of the puck, so it doesn't give an accurate reading until water has been flowing for a few...