Recent Posts

by baldheadracing, 1 minute ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 1 Views: 5

Can espresso actually taste sweet?

There's very little actual sugar (the chemical) in roasted coffee. Thus, you won't taste sweetness. Smelling sweetness is more like it as you state.
by yalag, 8 minutes ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 1 Views: 5

Can espresso actually taste sweet?

I've been learning about espresso and extraction a lot and almost most people who teach it will say that a well balanced shot can be a mix of flavours and sweet should be a part of it. But if all you can taste is sour or bitter then it's over/under extracted. But I've been now to 4 different espresso shops...
by JRising, 14 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 1 Views: 28

Cimbali Junior D auto fill won't stop

I assume you've tried grounding the probe and that didn't help, have you tried replacing its wire and grounding that new wire? Have you checked the powerboard's ground connection with the lowest setting on your ohmeter to a distant ground point on the machine's body? To boiler? To component grounds (ie. third spade on a solenoid valve)?
by JRising, 17 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 1 Views: 10

1983 Baby Gaggia no water from group head when shower screen is in place

The screw is too long or deep and is blocking the hole? Or, The screen is too filthy to let water through... You would have noticed this so my guess is the screw. Perhaps the screen is less convex than it used to be and so it allows the screw to go in further and block the port.
by DavidGinNYC, 20 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 8 Views: 158

Have I killed my Cremina?

Update: It's back! I have no idea how or why, but I reset the safety thermostat again and left it unplugged for a couple days. Turned it on this morning and it starting heating up. It seems to be working normally now. I'm sure I shortened the life of my heating element, so I'll probably have to replace it in...
by JRising, 22 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 2 Views: 30

Gaggia Espresso Color Spare Parts

If that T shaped one is truly unavailable, you might be able to find the Saeco F shaped one somewhere in EU. {link} The clamp is a 9.5mm Oetiker clamp. That is available anywhere, but if you want the Saeco part number: 996530007742: Oetiker Clamp, 9.5mm. Replaces 996530007947
by stefano65, 33 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 3 Views: 74

Elektra Microcasa a Leva grouphead / piston chamber issue

You should be able to choke the machine with the finest of your grinder setting then go a step at time time course from there, sound to me as well that the issue is not the machine but the grind.
by baldheadracing, 36 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 5 Views: 100

Early Holiday gift - La PAVONI PROFESSIONAL

I had noticed that they get to put the La Pavoni logo on their products. (I ordered their drip tray grate with logo for some subtle bling.)
by mikelipino, 38 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 3930 Views: 292048

Cafelat Robot User Experience

Well done! I've heard the same. Since the traditionally unwanted extractables come late in the extraction (acidity > sweetness > bitterness/astringency), a declining temp profile would help keep them out of the cup. A side by side would help see if this is true!
by emradguy, 38 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 39 Views: 1501

Lever Wanted

The risk is pretty low when you're buying from one of the many regulars here.