Recent Posts

by coffeewitharthur, 5 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 2 Views: 7

Issue With 2021 Olympia Cremina: Lever touches portafilter handle

Thanks man. the issue isnt that its not turning enough. The issue is that the portafilter engages (locks in) to the left of the lever handle, so when i pull it to the right, the portafilter handle hits the lever handle. for a machine this expensive, this seems like bad design. So I was wondering if this was common
by pcdawson, 7 minutes ago in Espresso Machines

As the group gasket is new, it is still stiff and is preventing the portafilter from turning to its more common position. As it wears in, the handle will turn further and further away from the lever (at the 12 O'Clock position. That should reduce or eliminate any interference between the two handles. Nice machine by the way!
by MNate, 10 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 337 Views: 11289

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

It might help us to study a bit more roasting theory. I'm still very novice and many of the threads are over my head but I really enjoyed the thread in the Roasting FAQ section about roast profiles. Another_jim has some good stuff, per usual: (The last paragraph there I think he is talking about the drying stage
by Christopherau, 17 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 8 Views: 119

Water Advice for BWT

So is that the Brita c150? is that doing a better job?
by coffeewitharthur, 17 minutes ago in Espresso Machines

Hey guys Been lurking around for a while - first time posting. The forum here has been super helpful. Anyways, I got a New Olympia Cremina in December of 2021, and I love it. But I noticed an issue and wondered if anyone else has this issue? With the lever all the way down, the portafilter handle
by Christopherau, 20 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 8 Views: 119

Water Advice for BWT

[quote="Your new one appears to have reduced the hardness by only two drops and the alkalinity by five drops. That's unexpected for a typical buffered decarbonizing filter, but who knows what they put in those filters. If it's a bestmax premium the fresh filter may be dumping a little more magnesium than expected into the water.[/quote]
by Pressino, 45 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 3 Views: 59

Water loses TDS with time?

Another possibility, which I actually think is rather likely, is that some of the dissolved solutes have precipitated out from solution, thus lowering the measured TDS. This might be temperature related, but not for the reason mentioned above
by Pressino, 50 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 5 Views: 84

E61 preinfusion & stiffer flow control spring

YMMV, but what I decided to use the stock (less stiff) e61 preinfusion spring with my machine that came equipped with an ECM FCD and the stiffer lower chamber spring supplied with it. I preferred this arrangement, which let's you use the "classic" e61 "preinfusion" but also allows you to employ flow control during extraction as you see fit. I
by sosha, 55 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 20 Views: 625

Do you add sugar to your espresso?

I was taught to do it by a barista at Chromatic Coffee. 18g tamped down, then enough sugar to barely cover the bed, lock in and pull. I make sure to backflush often
by miab, Today, 8:58 pm in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 28 Views: 355

Riviera leaking past piston seals

{image} {image} Here are a couple pics from Beer&mathematics Better yet put a 2-3mm spacer between shaft and piston