Recent posts

by twiggen
16 minutes ago
Forum: Tips and Techniques
Replies: 2
Views: 49

Puck Screens Too Small for Straight-Wall Basket?

That's actually really interesting, I never thought about the holes being created during the post-pressure release Thanks for the insight, I'll reconsider it then since I don't see particular blonding around the edges
by tinpanalley
38 minutes ago
Forum: Coffee Brewing
Replies: 28
Views: 343

Moka pot question about the amount of coffee in the filter basket

Ciao Lucio, come va... First of all thank you for your help. Your analysis of why I reduced the amount of coffee is flattering because it makes me sound like I made very calculated decisions about how to brew my coffee but I have to admit that it wasn't that methodically thought out. My wife and I wanted to
Advertisement
by Mad Scientist
41 minutes ago
Forum: Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 19
Views: 631

Londinium L1 temperature graphs

Did you get any resolution on your grouphead temperature not being at a normal state before your first shot?
by jgood
1 hour ago

"3 cups is the perfect one (per my experience)" I agree! Moka Pots do not behave the same way in different sizes -- it's almost as if you are using a different type of pot. If you find a size you like stick with it. To me the "3 cup" (which is really for one person) is way better
by mangoie
1 hour ago
Forum: Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 10
Views: 99

Breville Dual Boiler 920 little flow through group head

It's pretty rare that the group/ shower head causes any blockage. Really suspect (also because the flow through the water spout is good) that the solenoid is problem. If you screw it loose, I think you can quite quickly see if something is wrong
by Lvx
1 hour ago

Hello Phil, As I understand your question, the main reason you prefer to reduce the amount of coffee in your basket is so flow is better, more uniform, and there would be less bitterness. The moka pot can be a challenging device for extracting coffee. You have variable pressures, variable temperatures, variable flow speeds. With the right
by jmc999
1 hour ago
Forum: Coffees
Replies: 1
Views: 65

Dragonfly Crema Dolce Espresso Brewing

My notes for a 54mm portafilter Bambino were to go 16 in, 24 out in about 27 seconds. Generally if I get too much sourness, my default is to grind fine enough to nearly choke the machine and pull close to 1:1. I might go 17 in, 20 out in 45 seconds. The idea being that the prolonged initial
by Jeff
1 hour ago
Forum: Buying Advice
Replies: 57
Views: 2035

Meaningful upgrade from Lelit Bianca V3

This may be true for your choices in espresso. However, for contemporary espresso that statement does not seem to apply. I agree that the Micra is a great machine for contemporary espresso, even doing a very good job with medium and medium-light roasts
by Zupatun
1 hour ago
Forum: Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 0
Views: 9

Barrista Gadgets PiD to GC I bought used for $220

I found a Gaggia Classic on ebay and got it for $220 (plus $40 shipping). I looked at all the PiDs available--Guaggauino (overkill), SunGaze, Aliexpress XTM7100, Shades O' Coffee and Barrista Gadgets. All said and done, I just wanted good temperature control and nice, sleek look and ease of use PiD fit my needs. {image} Considered
by LObin
1 hour ago
Forum: Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 22
Views: 293

Troubleshooting la Peppina double basket fit

Here are Orphan Espresso's instructions on how to rebuild a La Peppina: {link} That washer or group valve is very finicky to adjust. I probably played with it a dozen times before finding the sweet spot. Here's how I did it: With the machine upside down, use the 3 screws to plug the holes. Then