Recent Posts

by patrickff, 3 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 9 Views: 364

Spring Lever accidents

Impatient me did not wait long enough for the pressure to go down and had a big portafilter sneeze. Needless to say, the wall has now a nice sprinkled finish.
by crwper, 6 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 3 Views: 59

Need your help with developing "scientific" espresso recipes

I do think experiments can be part of the fun with espresso. I log a slightly silly number of measurements for each cup. I don't always know what meaning these will have, but it gives me lots of data to analyze when I have a question. At this point, though, instead of trying to draw broad conclusions, I would start...
by martinlhoff, 7 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 0 Views: 2

Tray/table for Europiccola + grinder setup

Mulling moving my EPC to live next to the window or even in the balcony. Maybe on something like {link}. I might - glue a power strip on the back / underside. - put a tray under grinder + EPC to ease cleanup (or just go for a metal table) - (if outside) make a rain cover - with something...
by LBIespresso, 10 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 3 Views: 99

Turkish electric grinder recommendations

I agree with all above. I use a Monolith flat with SSW burrs but if that was not in my coffee budget I would go the hand grinder route plus a drill (Which I did before I felt ok with spending more on my coffee hobby/habit). {link} This is just under your $300 budget. Spending enough on a good drill...
by LBIespresso, 11 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 13 Views: 625

Oiman's Virtual Collection Archive

I think many would make the trip to see that beautiful collection. Tremendous work!
by dgyvr, 13 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 2 Views: 64

Rocket R60v not pressurising if left on 30 minutes or more...

I have the same issue with my Rocket Cellini from 2017 as well. It is strange that this happens only when fully heated. Is there any way to check whether the transducer is faulty without ordering a new one in? It takes a while for me to get a part shipped to me and the local supplier (600Km) from where...
by JRising, 21 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 1 Views: 45

Pump/shot timer restarted mid shot?

If you can recreate it by pressing to the left on your lever (basically moving the cam a millimeter away from the switch) then it is possible your switch is only barely made. You could consider moving the switch forward unless it's perfect for pre-infusion where it is. I've always thought the cams should be a little more extreme on...
by Peter Venkman, 23 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 3 Views: 59

Need your help with developing "scientific" espresso recipes

I agree about your point for the coffee aging. I'm not planning on doing all of this in one single day. However, i could on day one try all of them at 200F. On day 2 try all of them at 205 and day 3 all of them at 195F... The goal is to get my favorite shot and try...
by JRising, 33 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 22 Views: 422

Single-boiler E61+PID espresso machine: A rude awakening about temperature stability

People buy them. People see an E61 grouphead as an identifiable trait of a good machine. It's like when car manufacturers put those ironing boards on the trunk lid of a car that doesn't have anywhere near the aerodynamics to develop lift and need a spoiler. It's just going to add a bit more drag, but it sparks a thought...
by HB, 34 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 22 Views: 422

Single-boiler E61+PID espresso machine: A rude awakening about temperature stability

As a mentioned earlier, I don't think the grouphead thermometer will yield meaningful measurements, especially for singles. A simple foam cup measurement would. But if you want to try your steps above, some comments: Shorten the flush at #2 to clear the screen only, 1 or 2 seconds, after the first shot. More than that will only destabilize the brew...