Recent Posts

by Jeff, 2 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 66

Best espresso machine for light roasts?

If you put out a budget, then people can help you make a balanced decision. If you're still using a Virtuoso for a grinder, that definitely needs to be retired from espresso duty. "Starter" is relative. To throw some numbers out there, you're probably looking at $1,500 and up for a machine and $600 and up for a grinder that...
by GDM528, 6 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 220 Views: 7148

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

Ikawa's recipe does that quick initial temperature spike thing, which I imagine wreaks a lot of thermal havoc early in the program. So perhaps it's taking 2-3 minutes for the system to calm down, given all the sensor delay times. What is the "thermocouple and Phidgets" thingy you mentioned - is that something I can buy or build?
by okmed, 12 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 2 Views: 34

ARC 800 Roaster

There is a damper flap on the bean cooling duct. It's under that white basket (rodent guard), just like a dryer vent flap. The vent pipe doesn't have a damper flap but when I finish roasting I just close the air damper valve and that works.
by mkane, 20 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 27 Views: 1610

DRIP Coffee: Baratza Virtuoso vs Niche Zero?

Watching this thread. We have a Virtuoso and HG-1. Sold the NZ. My wife likes immersion, I do PO. I haven't used Virtuoso for PO yet. In the morning.
by GDM528, 21 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 220 Views: 7148

New Ikawa Home Roaster - 100g capacity

I've found Sweet Marias to have useful introductory content, like: {link} My physics-y explanation is air roasting uses convective heat transfer, whereas a drum roaster uses conductive and radiative heat transfer. Kinda like the difference between cooking chicken wings in a hot air 'fryer' versus on a hot skillet.
by stanleyleecm, 25 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 3 Views: 57

Loud buzzing noise Quickmill Vetrano DE

Similar issue and found out it is the pump inlet screen blockage. "Quick Mill V2B loud pump"
by Giampiero, 30 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 3 Views: 57

Loud buzzing noise Quickmill Vetrano DE

Do you properly turn the water supply mode valve once you swap from "reservoir" to "flowjet water supply" and revers? Maybe the internal inline water filter installed before the pump need to be replaced?
by baldheadracing, 36 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 44 Views: 2493

Best brew grinder in 2021?

I'd say it depends on: the grind setting (coarser is faster); the rpm (higher is faster, but produces more fines); whether one is using the spring auger or the funnel (spring auger is faster); and whether grinding clockwise or counter-clockwise (clockwise is marginally faster due to the slant of the feeder teeth of the burr). I'm typically grinding 5, 6,...
by mkane, 47 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 2 Views: 34

ARC 800 Roaster

Do you have a flapper in the ducts to shut the cold out while not in use?
by Acavia, 55 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 130 Views: 12995

Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience

Would this apply to small increment? I have a KR804 with Lab Sweet burrs. I single dose grind for pourover, usually between 5 and 6.5, and sometimes might go from 6 to 5 from one day to the next. After a grind while it is running, I often turn finer so as to grind any partial bean that might be...