Recent Posts

by dsc106, 6 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 15 Views: 357

Dual grinder combo: Niche Zero (espresso) & Baratza Vario+ Steel Burr (filter) - thoughts?

Did this hold equally true for you in both filter and espresso?
by Jeff, 10 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 25 Views: 910

Best espresso machine for light roasts?

A BDB will pull good shots out of the box. Tinkering is just to be able to have more control over flow. You're being seduced by "flat" without taking the time to understand what that entails, both good and bad, as well as which grinders are classic flats and which are modern. A modern flat and an inexperienced barista without...
by K7, 19 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 14 Views: 300

Help Eureka Mignon Specialita issues

Of course. When grind is too fine for a given puck thickness, it chokes the machine. Without long PI, you cannot extract. With long enough PI, it softens up the puck and you can then get some flow. Long PI is a mere necessity for extra fine grind, not a goal in itself. Like Jeff said above, light roasts need...
by Nasame2546, 30 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 3 Views: 114

Expobar Brewtus IV issues.

Thanks so much!!!!!!
by pcdawson, 39 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 3 Views: 176

Acaia Lunar flow mode

Does anyone know if the flow mode is simply a firmware upgrade that you can add to a pre 2020/21 model? Or is there new hardware as well?
by beanEFIL, 49 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 25 Views: 910

Best espresso machine for light roasts?

It's funny you mention the importance of the grinder... Since posting originally... and after each reply...I've read... researched... read more... I have concluded... I NEED FLAT BURRS... as BIG as I can AFFORD... So... I've got a list going... and several "obvious" winners... OVER my budget... This is now what I'm referring to as my "stage 2" list.... "stage 1"...
by DamianWarS, 55 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 5 Views: 229

Free Coffee at 7-Eleven

Do they give you a free "fresh" one or you just get the not fresh coffee in your hand for free?
by DamianWarS, Today, 9:52 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 3 Views: 176

Acaia Lunar flow mode

It's a little off at times that's for sure. It's supposed to be geared for espresso use and so the flow sensitivity is somehow dialed into that. Espresso machines can have a lot of vibrations and I think it's design to interpret what a weight fluxuation is and what a vibration fluxuation. It may do a better job at this...
by Jeff, Today, 9:44 pm in Grinders
Replies: 14 Views: 300

Help Eureka Mignon Specialita issues

Light roasts often need "aggressive" extraction to get a balanced cup. This can include one or more of finer grind, longer contact time, faster flow, more water, higher tomatoes*, ... * "Temperature", but the autocorrect amused me so I left it. Popular combinations include fine grind, long contact time and coarser grind with very high flow rate ("turbo" or "Hendon")....
by Jonk, Today, 9:29 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 15 Views: 357

Dual grinder combo: Niche Zero (espresso) & Baratza Vario+ Steel Burr (filter) - thoughts?

Pretty sure people RDT with the Ode. That is what the 64mm SSP brew burrs deliver for me, with the right beans. More sweetness too, but certainly bright acidity. With some beans it's like the EQ is out of whack and the experience lacking or hollow but it can also be awesome. In comparison, I almost always got a bit...