Recent Posts

by jgood, 1 minute ago in Grinders
Replies: 17 Views: 3159

CAUTION!! Niche Zero owners

Although I don't have a Niche, I do have a Baratza Vario. It also has a lot of plastic, but they have kept the parts very available and inexpensive, as well as offering a "rebuild" service that is fairly priced ($80). In addition there are videos of most repairs. I've had mine three years plus and I think I've tightened...
by sweaner, 20 minutes ago in Grinders

Seems to work just fine for the vast majority of us... Just saying...
by tbonesays, 22 minutes ago in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 36 Views: 823

Arizona Meet-ups

Found a new one today. Buzzed Goat Coffee in Auhwatukhee (sp) off of Ranch Circle Rd. They make the coffee drinks carefully, especially for a place that serves alcohol. The barista is quite a character. Gabe opened this three years ago starting off as a food truck. He gets supplied by the Phoenix Roasting Co out of North Scottsdale. Please...
by PeetsFan, 24 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 69 Views: 3219

Jack Leveler + E37S = Channeling like crazy... Can't Win

Buy two bags of beans at a time, as long as you can go through it in 9 days. If you buy the same coffee with a different roast date... it may be close but it's still different coffee and needs to be dialed in, or at least tweaked. Also, I haven't read this whole thread, but I do better...
by cannonfodder, 28 minutes ago in Marketplace
Replies: 1632 Views: 269530

Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine

Bunch of big parts in figured walnut. It took some time to track down a 12 inch wide 4/8 walnut board to make everything from. Stairstep holder for Lyn Weber bean cellars, an accessory block to hold a bunch of assorted parts, added a walnut handle to the dustpan and made a surround for an ECM tamping station to cover...
by PeetsFan, 30 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 6 Views: 147

Unexplained extraction time changes

I need to do the same. Not necessarily every day, but as the beans age the grind needs to get a little finer. To the main question, a 20 second difference is a lot. I get 5 second swings sometimes but not 20 second swings.
by Pressino, 31 minutes ago in Grinders

Yeah..I noticed that, too. I guess plastics are pretty tough nowadays, but in a grinder I like metal for durability and some extra weight does provide more stability and maybe noise dampening in operation. I think time will help answer the question of durability. Mazzers typically last more than a decade in commercial use. I've never used a Niche, but...
by PeetsFan, 32 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 7 Views: 382

Diffuser Screens

I was just thinking that my espresso-making routine isn't complicated enough, and I need to add more steps.
by PeetsFan, 33 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 1 Views: 18

Struggling with channeling.

I have nearly the same setup as you and I don't have that much channeling. There's always a little. My setup is a Sette 270 with a Bezzera Duo, a dual-boiler E61 Here are the only things I can think of: 1) Pre-infuse for 3 to 4 seconds 2) 20 g shots, for me, are just mind-numbing. It's a lot...
by Hiruma, 39 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 2 Views: 26

How to maintain consistent flow rate throughout extraction?

Thank you very much, Peppersass, for the detailed feedback! Yes, "constant" would be the correct word to use for my situation. I do weigh the ground beans after grinding as I find that the Sette 270 likes to keep at least 0.5g for itself when I put 17-18g through it. I will see how things turn out once the Niche...