Recent Posts

by HmmThatWorked, 6 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 8 Views: 211

Stripped Screw Head on Burr Carrier

Sorry its been a long time replying, but I finally took the time to get the damaged screw out today. Now I've run into the question about replacment screws. I contacted Compak & they weren't much help. I found some Stainless m4.7x10 allen bolts that fit but the head is smaller than the OEM screws. Does anyone have any insight...
by BruceWayne, 15 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 1 Views: 41

First espresso machine, budget around $3500, help me make up my mind

That was the setup that I was planning on starting with before I got bitten by the grinder upgrade bug. I actually had an order in for a Sept Niche grinder and was going to get the Bianca in Sept., but got it early. Using a hand grinder while learning to dial my machine in contributed to me getting a...
by mdmvrockford, 23 minutes ago in Water
Replies: 55 Views: 9809

Easiest way to make rpavlis water?

Thanks "sideshow." I saw at least three milligram scales on amazon. I wanted to know which one you and others had ownership experience with. Alas the milligram precision scale look to be like the 0.1 gram scales i.e. last at best 3 years and then need to buy new one.
by prust, 25 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 7415 Views: 1184885

Post a pic of your home espresso setup...

{image}
by Bean Counter, 34 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 41 Views: 692

7 gram single shot?? Mission impossible!

For additional reference: {image} {image} This is the "F3029 - stainless steel 7g basket" according to the manual/specs when shipped with the machine.
by Uggghhh, 39 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 0 Views: 10

Lelit Bianca water flow out of grouphead

My Lelit Bianca is fairly new (60 days) and I noticed the grouphead doesn't dispense water the same all the time. I'd expect it to look like a shower all the time but sometimes I get a shower... sometimes it's a thick stream. I just backflushed the unit and now it's a constant stream (no more shower). Is this normal?
by jbviau, Today, 9:35 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 2 Views: 59

How Smell Works

Yes, thanks! NB: the full-text article (figures and all) is available "here"--just click "Download PDF." I've got Harold McGee's "Nose Dive" and Barwich's "Smellosophy" on my nightstand waiting for me to dive in, and I'll add this to the pile.
by happycat, Today, 9:28 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 2 Views: 59

How Smell Works

Interesting, thanks. I gotta think the chain to coffee descriptions is a little longer and works like this: olfactory sensors signal neurons fire in patterns that light up memories limbic system activated by memories, triggers emotions frontal lobe evaluates patterns through sociocultural influences (personal experiences, language, values, labels, training) words are chosen and spoken based on emo...
by Pressino, Today, 9:21 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 9 Views: 199

What exactly does a brew pressure gauge measure?

The quick answer to the OP's question is that a brew pressure gauge measures the pressure in the brew chamber, which is the space that contains the water just above the coffee puck. The pump is applying pressure to the water that enters the brew chamber, supposedly at the pressure measured by the brew pump pressure gauge. In E61 machines...
by Mad Scientist, Today, 9:06 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 12 Views: 658

Considering several lever espresso machines... help please

I love my Londinium. There are a couple for sale in the Buy/Sale forum.