Recent Posts

by mostlikelytrue, 4 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 10 Views: 923

KitchenAid Pro Mazzer Mini to SSP brewing burrs.

Any updates on how your mod went? And what screws you got? Curious how the plastic 3d prints have held up. Can't find any CNC machining that isn't a hilarious amount of money. How did the original guy make/sell these in aluminum at such a reasonable price? And if so many folks are asking, who is the hero who will...
by Jeff, 23 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 3 Views: 19

Trying to decide between Barista Touch vs Dual boiler, please help me

The Touch seems to be the innards from a Smart Grinder Pro and a Bambino or similar in a single box. Thermoblock machines don't have much of a warm-up time, but they tend to have terrible temperature control and require rituals to get at a roughly consistent temperature, from what I've read. (I can't confirm the espresso portion of the...
by yalag, 39 minutes ago in Buying Advice

2000 is for the machine. Separate budget for grinder. What are those options you have in mind? Maybe better than even the BDP? Also, if a few minutes is very fast. Then what is the startup time for the BBT? I can't find any info and I can't test it myself. Some say it's just 3 seconds?
by iploya, 43 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 1523 Views: 185074

Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)

If you don't get the answer you're looking for on the P100, consider posting a WTB in the Buy/Sell page. No promises, but I've had very good luck with that the few times I've used it (most recently, to get the P64).
by Jeff, 44 minutes ago in Buying Advice

Switch now, without hesitation. Buy a good grinder and enjoy. I'm not sure if $2,000 is total budget or just the machine, but you've got plenty of significantly better options. (A few minutes is very fast. Most E61-style machines take 40 minutes or more.)
by CamBam_HB, 47 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 3 Views: 78

CCX1 upgrade, La Spaziale the best choice?

I think you are right on - The LS Mini vivaldi II (and its variants) is very much going to meet all your requirements. As far as accessories are concerned, yes its a bummer to move to 53mm, but there is a decent community for accessories and such. If you want some others to consider that are not E61 based...
by yalag, 51 minutes ago in Buying Advice

Hi I'm relatively new to the espresso world but so far 1 month in, I'm loving it. But I'm still within a return period of my Barista Touch machine, I really want to decide if I want to stick it out or just return it and buy the Dual boiler. Here are a few areas I need your advise on....
by Jeff, Yesterday, 10:53 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 31 Views: 1192

Lever Wanted

I enjoyed my Pharos back when they first came out. With the improved knowledge of how to clamp them down to make it easier on your arm, you're probably ok for a couple shots a session. That way you can have the time to get what you want, or discover something "even better". I haven't been following the P100 very...
by Jeff, Yesterday, 10:30 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 6 Views: 125

Taking an espresso machine on carry-on through TSA?

The worst is when you can take "item x" on your first leg, then find a different agent "exercises judgment" in a different way along your journey. Pieces of paper are helpful, but may not be sufficient.
by PIXIllate, Yesterday, 10:14 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 2 Views: 119

2021 World Barista Championship - Milan, Italy

The thing to keep in mind is this is mainly a timed hospitality competition. If it were a tasting competition I'm sure all of the Baristas would be preparing things differently. FWIW I'm sure my morning espresso tastes better than their competition shot but it's damn impressive what they pull off and the amount of work they put in preparing....