Recent Posts

by IntelliEspresso, 2 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 6 Views: 643

Built a Frankenstein lever machine using used parts

Awesome build! What's the rough cost to build something like this??
by cafeIKE, 12 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 5 Views: 308

Niche Zero upper burr carrier seems loose - normal?

Springs only marginally affect the horizontal play and are primarily for holding the upper burr off the lower. My Niche suffers from setting creep w/o an adjusting ring lock. I messed about with different springs from Niche to solve the issue, but in the end locked the upper carrier with two 'customized' piano tuning dampers. My m.o. is
by Transporter, 16 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 553 Views: 36092

Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima

I wanted to get a Kees Vander Westen Speedster, but they stopped making a 110v version. Although the Sanremo You looks interesting, this is another new concept for a home machine packed with technology that is not proven to be robust or reliable in the market. I will probably go back to a GS3 AV that I had
by Nunas, 18 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 10 Views: 168

Rocket Appartamento - sudden excessive overheating

No, I've never had this happen. But, when I had a pressurestat controlled machine (a Magister), it used a Sirai, which is a commercial duty one with an inbuilt 3-pole relay. They're built like tanks. From the photos on that link I sent, I think yours is a Mater, which is considerably more fragile. On the other hand, Mater
by OK31, 20 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 747 Views: 67112

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

Ok so after swapping out all of the o-rings a month ago everything has been working great. Last night I go to steam some milk for hot chocolate and the darn thing beeps and steam is weak. Heard it filling the boiler let it sit a bit more tried again same thing. This morning no improvement.
by espressocon, 25 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 18 Views: 399

Grinder replacement advice

A quick update and also want to thank everyone for your advice. I got the 1zpresso JX pro. It took me few tries to dial in the grind setting but man oh man the espresso from my Silvia is just fantastic!! I found that 15 plus 2 clicks is the sweet spot for the current beans (home roasted to medium)
by olutheros, 28 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 3 Views: 57

Colombia El Alquimista Red Honey Pink Bourbon

agreed, I just meant even moreso than I expected from my past experience with honeys/naturals. it was still intended to be light enough that it was not an issue, luckily on a more positive note, it didn't have any earthiness or boozy funk, which is very nice. the previous coffees I've had from him were all pushing the envelope
by Almico, 46 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 3 Views: 57

Colombia El Alquimista Red Honey Pink Bourbon

From my experience, honey and natural coffees have more sugar content and caramelize faster than washed coffees. Panama Elida is notorious for this. For the same roast plan and profile, it will be 3-4 points darker on the Agtron gourmet scale. It was hard to learn to force myself to drop it earlier, but I've learned you almost can't underdevelop
by JonathanMichael, 56 minutes ago in Buy/Sell
Replies: 0 Views: 54

[FS] IKAWA Pro v3

This IKAWA Pro v3 is a very precise and repeatable sample roaster that can be used for small batch production. It is in excellent condition. The roaster was purchased in spring of 2021. The app is easy to use and IKAWA has good support available. The Pelican travel case is awesome for transport. $3,000 for Dallas area
by coffeenoob123, 58 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 5 Views: 257

How's my espresso?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will try those things and give it another shot (ha). I am definitely using the basket wet and not clean each time, so I will try that first, as well as giving my machine and portafilter a cleaning. I have another question. How do you guys manage your cleaning rags?