Recent posts

by SutterMill
7 minutes ago
Forum: Knockbox
Replies: 3407
Views: 306638

The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day...

Today I learned two things: Baristas can double as meteorologists Madison needed 750 words about something
by malling
19 minutes ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 209
Views: 26521

Pietro by Fiorenzato - vertical flat-burr manual grinders

No it's normal, it's not a problem, you can't seal that enough and still make it work, to make that more closed off would require no easy removal of burr, meaning instead of push you would need to undo a bolt and then remove carrier and burr, but axis would not be an easy removal piece. If you
Advertisement
by JRising
23 minutes ago
Forum: Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 3
Views: 28

Brasilia club - boiler keep pushing out gasket

That is possible... Is it a boiler overfill problem and you just did not mention that you can hear the pump running when the problem occurs, Jack?
by Jeff
54 minutes ago
Forum: Coffee Brewing
Replies: 19
Views: 257

Moka pot question about the amount of coffee in the filter basket

One of the things that I've seen in technique videos is to remove the heat source once the coffee starts flowing. Here's one of many videos for some ideas {video}
by tinpanalley
1 hour ago
Views: 257

Moka pot question about the amount of coffee in the filter basket

Let me update what I've done... I switched to filling the basket which now requires 8 teaspoons of beans to be ground rather than 5 that I was using before. So that gets me a full basket. I used the same method as before. Boiled water, about 90C by the time I start to brew. Used to take about
by tbombadil
1 hour ago
Views: 1006

Always brew at 197F?

I did switch to the steel burrs on the Vario. It's still new so we'll see how they season, but so far virtually no bitterness unless I really crank up the dose, grind fineness and temp, and then just slight. I agree lower temps are "safer", but may not reveal the best spectrum. Just a counterpoint to "always brew
by bdbnewbie
1 hour ago
Replies: 5
Views: 72

Breville Dual Boiler 920 little flow through group head

I can confirm that the solenoid is installed as pictured. Also, I would run a bunch of cleaning cycles but there's no water coming through the group head? I would also descale but don't know if the liquid will travel the path it needs to. For what it's worth, I see no scale build up when I took off the
by helicon47
1 hour ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 209
Views: 26521

Pietro by Fiorenzato - vertical flat-burr manual grinders

It happens to mine, too, but it's easy enough to clean when changing beans and I don't see any damage to the seal. I'm sure I'll re-lubricate the o-ring at some point but it seems to spin quite freely enough after several months' use. Overall I've been thrilled with the ease of use (with the stand) and results in the
by finermac
1 hour ago
Forum: Buy/Sell
Replies: 1
Views: 143

[FS] Center 101 thermometer

The meter comes with a case. It has an option of self calibration in the ice water mixture solution. Especially good for roasting coffee. Asking $50 shipped OBO thanks
by Nunas
1 hour ago
Replies: 2
Views: 101

ECM Synchronika will be 4 years old this fall. Any maintanence I should be doing?

Just keep doing what you're doing. As Bert suggests, it wouldn't hurt to check for scale, but I doubt you'll find much, given the soft water you're using. The mushroom won't likely have any at all, as there's no possibility for TDS up-creep in that circuit. I have similarly low TDS water and pull the mushroom every once in a