Recent Posts

by orangetikibird, 3 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 24

Does nickel leach from a nickel plated boiler?

So the description of the Lelit Elizabeth says "Brew boiler: Nickel plated brass, 0.3L" - does that mean the outside is plated, the inside, or both? I guess I thought from the description the inside was plated with nickel.
by yakster, 15 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 5 Views: 69

Need help with post-roast data

What do you mean by "Ray Kroc" my workflow?
by K7, 17 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 8 Views: 146

Help Eureka Mignon Specialita issues

From what I've seen on Internet and my own Specialita, +1.5 from true zero for lighter coffee is perfectly normal. Having to grind right near touching point (for normal double shot, I assume) is abnormal. But the operative phrase here is "on my current beans". If this happens with only this coffee, maybe the coffee is stale or compromised in...
by LBIespresso, 22 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 5 Views: 69

Need help with post-roast data

I just found out about the 50€ deal so I need to see if there is anything that I will do differently. But I put batch data like weight and volume in before and then post roast data in after. Then I run the analyzer and record all of that and more in a spreadsheet (I'm a spreadsheet geek from...
by DaveC, 29 minutes ago in Buying Advice

The Elizabeth doesn't have any Nickel plated boilers (unless they just plated the inside of the brew boiler, which is highly unlikely, and pointless), just brass for the brew and steel for the Steam boiler. Im not sure that many (if any modern machines made in the last 5 years use Nickel plated boilers any more). Be wary of the...
by JB90068, 30 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 2 Views: 32

Suggested type of coffee for 1st Espresso (Flair 58)

First and foremost, if I were you, I would go with whatever style roast tastes best to you. If you like lighter roasts, then go for it. Is it harder to dial in light vs medium dark? I'm not sure I would say "harder", but if you go the lighter route, be prepared to burn through more beans at first....
by boren, 38 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 3 Views: 42

Upgrade from Mini Vivaldi ii and Eureka Specialita

58mm isn't better than 53mm, and your machine most likely has better temperature stability than E61 machines. Here's an upgrade I think you should consider instead: "La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi and pressure profiling"
by tennisman03110, 38 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 2 Views: 32

Suggested type of coffee for 1st Espresso (Flair 58)

I don't have experience with a manual machine. What I would recommend is get 2 pounds of a medium blend, something more forgiving. I.e. Passenger Stowaway (As you note them as a favorite roaster). You'll learn lots going through a bag, no matter what it is, and buying in bulk ends up cheaper per shot. Change one variable at a...
by orangetikibird, 42 minutes ago in Buying Advice

I'm looking a new espresso machines (mostly double boilers like a Lelit Elizabeth) and had a question on nickel plated brass boilers. Will the nickel plating leach (or flake) over time? I have nickel allergy and I'm not supposed to consume it in excess. So no multi-vitamin with nickel in it. Right now, it's not a problem, but I wouldn't...
by mathof, 42 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 2343 Views: 241951

LMWDP Rollcall

That is so sad. I hope you find a satisfying substitute for your espresso habit. And do drop by from time to time. Matt H.