Recent Posts

by Marcelnl, 2 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 26 Views: 305

Brewing on the water

A ziplock bag is made out of plastic which IMO makes the beans more prone to staling due to permeability, glass jars should be much better. Also, when you store your beans once cooled they are still warm, which will help keeping the relative humidity inside the jar lower than you might suspect. I store my roasted beans in paper...
by Sw1ssdude, 5 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 12 Views: 85

Microcimbali Safety Valve

Could you send a picture of the whole machine? there are two types of heating, one of them relies on constantly steaming from the top. One can tell by the switches which microcimbali it is (italian rocker switches = constant steaming, green on/off-button: no steaming) For safety valve adjustment: I did the same thing on my coffee machine, after i...
by baldheadracing, 6 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 714 Views: 73140

Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder

A spin has an even motion - there is no jerkiness to the rotations. A constant torque. Smooth. Cranking would have some differences in torque during a rotation. For example, think of a car trying to start with a dying battery (and a gas engine). Jerky. Hope this helps.
by rasmusnielsendk, 36 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 1440 Views: 120495

Lelit Bianca User Experience

Hi Jim. Steam is coming from this valve. Not sure what it's called. {image}
by renatoa, 38 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 32 Views: 2404

Kickstarter lever projects

Not a lever, but a paddle... probably the cheapest way to have profiling today ... too cheap to be true, even if it's coming from china... {link}
by Peppersass, 41 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 8 Views: 121

Need some advice with roasting defects

One way to confirm tipping is to slice the bean open with an X-acto or razor blade. If there's tipping, you'll see the small blackened embryo, around .5mm thick, extending 1-2mm into the bean from one end. FWIW, in his defects video, Hoos says "scorching" is only visible as small marks on the beans during the roast -- I think...
by GregoryJ, 41 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 548 Views: 44800

G-IOTA espresso grinder

It looks like one of my burr mounting holes got mangled up a bit. I noticed this as soon as I received it. This is on the top burr, with the stock TiN burrs installed. I'm just curious, has anyone else seen this? In the second picture you can something dinged the metal and caused it to curl up on...
by another_jim, 52 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 1440 Views: 120495

Lelit Bianca User Experience

Yes for the vacuum breaker (soft sputterring noise, and steam out of spout in front); no for the safety valve (loud whistling noise, and steam out of the cup holder)
by GregoryJ, Today, 11:41 am in Coffees
Replies: 9 Views: 187

Fresh Roasted Beans on Amazon

I've gotten Nicoletti off of Amazon before. They use Amazon and eBay as their storefront. They do roast to order, but of course that means you don't get 2-day prime shipping, as that can only be given for items stored in Amazon's warehouse. Unfortunately, the last bag I got from them had a medicinal, bitter taste that I couldn't get...
by EddyQ, Today, 11:33 am in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 17 Views: 615

Rob Hoos/Loring Free Roasting Defects Seminar

Overall, I enjoyed the talk. I couldn't agree more about how scorching ruins flavor. I like how defects have been identified and terminology defined. That said, I don't 100% agree that scorching can only be done with a hot drum. I have scorched beans with my DIY heat gun roaster years ago. But a half decent commercially available roaster should...