Recent Posts

by Pressino, less than a minute ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 1 Views: 71

Building a better Phin

The ones sold on Amazon under the brand Thang Long look pretty good. They have different sizes and come in either the gravity or screw down type. Made in VN and not PRC and seem to be solidly built. They don't need to be massive and the SS these ones are made of seems to be quite adequate. I too...
by HB, 1 minute ago in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 35 Views: 498

Utterly lost - I am simply unable to produce a cup of espresso

To further pile on the prior comments: I advise avoiding the temptation to make small, incremental changes. Because marginal equipment and technique can introduce its own variability, the proposed change must be large enough to overcome the variation. For example: A). If you think the brew pressure is too high, don't lower it by 0.5 or 1 bar, lower it...
by Veldkijker, 7 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 0 Views: 0

Grimac La Valentina not heating

In 2007 or 2008 I bought a demo-model Grimac La Valentina. (Very nice machine.) Recently I changed the "pre-filter" in the watertank, because I noticed that the pump was a bit noisy. (Before, it was working perfect, except for the noisy pump. The pre-filter was overdue.) After changing the pump works perfect and is less noisy, but for some reason...
by Espressoman007, 9 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 7 Views: 546

San Remo You - Single Group Espresso Machine

I am a big fan of Sanremo's Racer design. If it was only made for my needs I would be the first in line to buy it. I look forward to the day when I'll see Racer single group but only with espresso mode. No steaming, no hot water... And "You" is a big step forward after Cube. Cube looks...
by Jeff, 13 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 49 Views: 8132

Flair Pro 2 vs. Cafelat Robot vs. ROK GC

I'll preheat the Robot piston for the first shot of the day, as my kitchen is typically 60-65° F. After that, the "overflow" method for heating the basket seems sufficient for medium roasts. 9 bars seems excessive to me. Most of my better shots are in the 6-8 bar range, declining from there.
by elkayem, 21 minutes ago in Repairs, Restorations & Mods
Replies: 2 Views: 30

Eureka Specialita - No power to motor

Are you suggesting that my whack to the side dislodged something and got it running again? When I tried running it this morning, I heard absolutely nothing from the motor, just the click of the relays. I would have at least expected to hear the motor struggle to start when power was applied. But I got nothing, just silence. I've...
by Pressino, 30 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques

and maybe those that do use lever machines...?
by SJM, 32 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques

What he said. Trying to save either money or coffee or whatever by using the single basket is just making it harder on you. If/as/when you master the double basket THEN you can try to master the single. I am constantly amazed by how unwilling newbies are to do as they are advised, but it is the quicker way to...
by CoffeeMac, 40 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 361 Views: 27116

The Londinium R24

I've got the Matrix installed now; using stock Londinium gasket. No issues with it popping off. I presume you seat it with a basketless portafilter first, then lock it in with portafilter with basket installed? FYI: No noticeable difference to me in extraction between it and the IMS/Londinium 35U. I think Matrix might have more value to pump machines with...
by Smo, 43 minutes ago in Tips and Techniques

I will repeat myself. Take a double basket. No one has yet died from a caffeine overdose using a double basket. Coffee grinder in the range of 2-4, coffee 18 grams, 15 ml ristretto. Little caffeine, but lots of flavor. Throw out the bad grains, buy 250g packs. Nobody knows yet how Italians make a great espresso from 7 grams...