Recent Posts

by MNate, 8 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 101

Decent DE1XL or DE1XXL? Or Synesso Home?

I have the XL. You can adjust the steam flow rate and many of us have actually turned it down to .6 or .8ml/s, sacrificing about 5 seconds of speed on 100 grams of milk in favor of finer micro foam. (I'm at 25seconds for 100g). So I wouldn't even use more speed. I once had a machine that could...
by LindoPhotography, 15 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 6 Views: 176

Is the 1Zpresso K-Plus magnetic container better than that of the J-Max?

I've only had one shot on a friends JX Pro, and I have a k-plus, so I have experience with that one, but from what I've heard and what I can tell the K series burrs are designed to be a bit more consistent and uni-modal which I don't think is totally possible with a conical burr grinder but it...
by luvmy40, 23 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 1111 Views: 102448

G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder

Here's the one I'm using. {link}
by mkane, 59 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 3 Views: 102

Ikawa Greens for Ikawa Home Roaster

Keep tasting daily. That's where the fun is. How they change day to day
by ShotClock, Today, 8:21 pm in Buying Advice
Replies: 2 Views: 101

Decent DE1XL or DE1XXL? Or Synesso Home?

The decent website has a detailed comparison of their machines, but here is my understanding: The pro and xl are the same machine, but the xl is slightly larger for the sake of having an extra cosmetic panel on the back. There is also a slightly larger steam wand. I have the xl, and would have bought the pro if...
by mkane, Today, 8:21 pm in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 27 Views: 1076

Coffee going from tasty to lifeless in hours or max few days

Our coffee changes all along the period from 12hrs post-roast until it's gone. usually six days with 340g. There are days in between it does taste lifeless. Second day or 3rd.
by Newton123, Today, 7:29 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 1421 Views: 89225

Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on

Just thought I'd post on a steam problem I just fixed. My steam quality had been slowly deteriorating for months for no clear reason, and then finally the steam went completely south - pump running a lot and more water than steam. Turned out the wire on one of the probes was corroded and might actually have been completely detached...
by cafeIKE, Today, 7:22 pm in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 6 Views: 146

Good espresso/barista in Los Angeles?

Negatory on Luxxe unless you like burnt. Also can be very inconsistent. The A-#1 best spot 5 years ago was Stumptown downtown. Most consistent of any of the dozens I visited when I lived in LaLa Land.
by Jeff, Today, 7:10 pm in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 549 Views: 45947

Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype)

There was a mistake in the BOM that specified a chip variant for the "wrong" thermocouple type. From what I understand, the proper chips have since been sourced.
by Ruben, Today, 6:53 pm in Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 6 Views: 146

Good espresso/barista in Los Angeles?

Thanks, one more to my list.