Recent posts

by Milligan
less than a minute ago
Forum: Coffee Brewing
Replies: 1
Views: 12

Cold brew coffee.

I find that cold brew is very sensitive to the grind. While "the internet" likes to trivialize cold brew and make it seem like it is easy to throw whatever beans in there, I've found quite the opposite. Too light and you get a weak, acid forward brew that does not dilute well. Too dark and it tastes
by Jonk
3 minutes ago
Forum: Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 5
Views: 127

Switching between Flair 58 and Robot - grind size?

So you're likely using a fairly fine grind with that VST basket. If you don't want to change the setting you'd need to dose a bit less in the Robot basket or perhaps pre-infuse for longer
Advertisement
by hercdeisel
5 minutes ago
Forum: Coffee Roasting
Replies: 17
Views: 563

Highest chance of success - roasters

I don't know how I'm finding myself defending this....it's not the way I roast...but Royal Coffee posts different roast profiles for the Bullet (and I assume other roasters) for all of the crown jewels that they sell. You're not getting one sized fits all roast profile. Obviously if you roast under significantly different environmental conditions than they do, you'll
by SteveRhinehart
13 minutes ago
Forum: Cafes and Get-togethers
Replies: 11
Views: 175

General question about handling cafe drink quality

To tack onto Jake's last point: I've been that barista whose perfectly dialed-in shots (to my palate) made a customer scrunch up their nose due to sourness (to their palate). Tolerance and interpretation of bitter and sour are subjective. In the case of a customer telling me that what I interpret as a sweet and well balanced shot is in
by woytovich
22 minutes ago
Replies: 3
Views: 74

La Peppina drip tray needed

Any other thoughts or options?
by Pigeontree
27 minutes ago
Forum: Espresso Machines
Replies: 8
Views: 227

Espresso shot - coffee appears immediately - problem?

You're missing the point that everyone is making, you're hung up on the "golden ratio" of 1:2 in 30s, this is simply a ballpark for people who are new to the hobby, start there, sure, but then dial in by flavor. As someone else said, they dial in so that their first drop doesn't even hit the cup until
by ron231
34 minutes ago
Forum: Grinders
Replies: 18
Views: 647

Differences between Ww core 80mm and Ssp 83mm HU in espresso

Ultra for espresso is quite limited
by smac88
41 minutes ago
Replies: 5
Views: 127

Switching between Flair 58 and Robot - grind size?

To answer some questions about my current Flair 58 workflow/setup... I use a VST basket (I wouldn't consider using a pressurised one for either machine). I tend to do a short pre-infusion of 3 bars, declining to 1, then ramp up to 8 or 9 and slowly decline to 6. I tend to prefer medium roast for espresso
by LBIespresso
44 minutes ago
Forum: Coffee Roasting
Replies: 17
Views: 563

Highest chance of success - roasters

Exactly this. Remember, there is no single profile that is best for all beans. You will still have to learn what approach to take with each coffee. You can let professional roasters run all of the profile roasts and cup them to decide on the best approach saving you the wasted coffee and time learning which approaches to try.
by mikesnow
55 minutes ago
Forum: Tips and Techniques
Replies: 13
Views: 274

Help with spritzers- puck prep

Purchased EPHQ 14 , will find some fresher coffee and let you know how it goes. Thanks all