Recent Posts

by iploya, 6 minutes ago in Knockbox
Replies: 2 Views: 55

Acaia Battery Tune-Up Program

Longer than I realized. Apparently in mid-2017 according to my e-mail receipt. When the battery was going bad, it seemed like I got a low charge indicator every 1-2 weeks. There was rarely enough warning to even finish the morning espresso.
by SandraF, 12 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 6 Views: 93

Brew grinder, budget <$1,000 USD

I bought my Eureka Atom 75 as part of my setup. It has 75mm flat burrs, is FAST & QUIET. I understand that it is out of your price range, but highly encourage you to consider Eureka grinders. They have been manufacturing coffee grinders for 100 years. Plus, you can purchase them easily. Check out some of the Open Box...
by wijmaar, 19 minutes ago in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 8 Views: 301

Bezzera Family Lever Restoration

The colour is RAL2010, indeed seems a lot like yours!
by Jonk, 23 minutes ago in Buying Advice

As a previous owner of a Wilfa Uniform, I would advise against it. It did not perform nearly as well as the Vario that replaced it and it's also slow and fragile. The Vario also comes with a bigger hopper if that's important. To get the most out of the Vario I do think you have to spend a few...
by obfuscurity, 53 minutes ago in Grinders
Replies: 54 Views: 5893

Yes, a Monolith is worth it

Owner of a Niche Zero and DF64 here, I finally managed to reserve a MAX yesterday for the April 2022 batch. Enjoying the thread here, but I'm also curious what other threads / forums exist for Monolith owners? I've had some difficulty finding relevant HB threads about the MAX ownership experience.
by Jeff, 53 minutes ago in Espresso Machines
Replies: 82 Views: 2568

ECM flow control installation

There's some belief that getting things started with a slightly higher flow rate to quickly and evenly wet the puck has advantages. You might try a couple seconds at a faster setting before dropping down to a 2 mL/s (unrestricted flow) setting. My very rough estimate for the light roasts I pull is around 20 mL of water to saturate...
by lancealot, Today, 1:19 pm in Tips and Techniques
Replies: 13 Views: 287

Flow profiling with dark and medium roast coffees

My previous comment about flow profiling being a waste of time on dark roasts missed this important consideration. I think it a good idea to mimic the trailing profile of a lever with medium to dark roast coffees.
by MikeTheBlueCow, Today, 1:14 pm in Buying Advice

Unfortunately the Wilfa grinders aren't really available for US. As for the Specialita, while it seems it wouldn't be your main choice, how do you feel it stacked up against the other grinders you've had, flavor-wise? When it started to act up, what was the issue - are they not really built well? They have so many models and variations...
by BSdV, Today, 1:05 pm in Buying Advice

Our Mignon Specialita was being used for brew. Mainly for use in a moccamaster. For v60 I'm using a comandante C40. The Specialita started acting up when I was - and still am - abroad for work and I asked my wife just to order an encore for the time being until I'm back home to have a look at...
by Coffello, Today, 12:42 pm in Espresso Machines
Replies: 82 Views: 2568

ECM flow control installation

Hey Maurice and fellow enthusiasts Strangely, before making coffee for guests at lunchtime today, I noticed that the flow was considerably reduced when I purged some water through the shower screen prior to getting started. Then I realised that the flow control knob had mysteriously been turned a quarter of a revolution further clockwise (off) than I had so far...