Recent Posts

by saamyjoon, 6 minutes ago in Coffee Brewing
Replies: 15 Views: 954

SSP 98mm "Brewing" Burrs

Curious in folks' opinions on how this compares to other brew burr options like - SSP Low fines/(Ultra low fines?) - The SSP cast pre-2015 EK-style burrs
by marcism, 19 minutes ago in Coffee Roasting
Replies: 9 Views: 270

Fluid-bed home coffee roaster other than FreshRoast

Wow! That is such a cool design. Thanks for sharing
by Urupackers, 44 minutes ago in Buying Advice
Replies: 9 Views: 182

Flair Pro 2: 12.5 microns vs 22 microns?

1Zpresso have now the J Max model that have coated 48mm burrs and the same ring adjustment as the K models and it have 8.4 microns adjustment, you can look this model too, I have the Jx Pro and the 12.5 microns adjustment is fantastic for espresso, you can work precisely to adjust the time and flow of your shots.
by drgary, Today, 12:03 am in Lever Espresso Machines
Replies: 3919 Views: 288499

Cafelat Robot User Experience

@ Welshdog: If you like coffee taste and you have a Robot and a Niche Zero, but you don't like straight espresso, I don't think you've learned to dial in. Also the country of origin has less to do with the tastes you're seeking than the roasting style. I would start with going to a good cafe, telling them your...
by Pressino, Yesterday, 11:31 pm in Coffees
Replies: 3 Views: 139

Allergic reaction to coffees from a specific geographic region (Yemen in my case)

Interesting. The article mentioned the patient has an allergy to nuts. I couldn't access the full article available in PDF format to get the specifics. It's possible the batch of coffee was contaminated with nuts. The article summary says the patient "tolerates" cardamon, ginger,and dairy products but shows a positive skin reaction to brewed "Arabic coffee" from Yemen with ginger...
by decent_espresso, Yesterday, 11:23 pm in Marketplace
Replies: 817 Views: 82944

Decent Espresso news

{image} Article: how Decent uses Basecamp Basecamp CEO (and Decent owner) Jason Fried has written a nice article about how we use their software, with a focus on their most recently released "multiple tools" feature. {link} Basecamp is deeply, deeply used here, down the the factory floor, repairs, and in our supply chain. Each machine gets its own Basecamp page,...
by Swamp Thing, Yesterday, 11:01 pm in Knockbox
Replies: 3 Views: 51

"Coffee Bar" for Decent DE1XL set up advice?

Thanks! I'll check out that thread! 749 pages? I'll be a little busy for a while! The drip is just to ease the transition for my wife. The pitcher rinser on the Descent website (if you can find it!) looks perfect if you're used to European rinsing standards. I've never used a rinser, but the videos seem to show it...
by MNate, Yesterday, 10:59 pm in Knockbox

I like left to right. Unfortunately my sink is stuck on the left so I have to work the other direction. -no sink, just pitcher rinser? If I only had one or the other I think I'd choose a sink. More versatile. You definitely need to rinse the portafilter. I don't know, can that be done well enough with a...
by redpig, Yesterday, 10:50 pm in Buy/Sell
Replies: 0 Views: 83

[FS] Arrarex/VAM Caravel pair and accessories

As I prepare for a move, I'm parting with some dearly loved "projects" and machines. Up for sale is a fully functional Arrarex Caravel v1.1 I bought in April of 2020 (from another HBer) and a VAM 1.0 I bought in 2013. In early 2020, I spilled water on the VAM and it shorted some of the ancient Italian wiring....
by MNate, Yesterday, 10:49 pm in Knockbox

I agree that countersunk looks cooler for the DE1 but haven't brought myself to do it yet. In part because I haven't been exactly sure where on the counter to set it permanently. It's kind of nice and easy to just slide it around as the occasion requires. I think I've decided on right in the middle of my length...