HOST 2019 - Page 9

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
truemagellen

#81: Post by truemagellen »

NelisB wrote:Does anyone know more about the Elektra Verve?
yea I was looking for that too and this is all I've got

TheMadTamper

#82: Post by TheMadTamper »

There's also a video: https://www.elektrasrl.com/en/news/ales ... elektra-2/

I'm not quite sure what the message of this video is, but having watched it without sound, my interpretation is that if you blindfold and kidnap attractive women and take them to a cafe, they'll live in your RV with you, and it contains an Elektra. Just another day in Italy. :?

Not sure how much the slick PR firm was paid, but I do know it was too much. I assume it means Verve is portable and runs on minimal power? It's not terribly informative otherwise.
LMWDP #642
★ Helpful

Advertisement
Elliot

#83: Post by Elliot »

Fantastic conclusions!
More and more I dig into what's being offered, less I am impressed.

NelisB

#84: Post by NelisB »

TheMadTamper wrote:I'm not quite sure what the message of this video is, but having watched it without sound, my interpretation is that if you blindfold and kidnap attractive women and take them to a cafe, they'll live in your RV with you, and it contains an Elektra. Just another day in Italy. :?
LOL!

SteveRhinehart

#85: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Here are a few more images from the show. We're debriefing tomorrow so I don't have a ton of details just yet, but I can fill in more later.

Mahlkonig E65S GbW

Surprisingly fast! I was somewhat worried the weighing mechanism would significantly impact the E65S's speed. I saw a video where total time was 5 seconds from inserting the portafilter to the grinder confirming the final 18 g dose. Other grind-by-weight grinders take a little longer in my experience, up to 8-10 seconds total. Dose was checked on a Lunar afterward and it seemed to be spot on. Won't be long now before many commercial grinders have similar features with good accuracy.

Mahlkonig E80 Supreme

Also quite fast, delivering 18 grams in under 4 seconds. I've heard these are Peak burrs, but the Features card doesn't indicate that. The white number on the display top-center is a constant read of burr distance, and I believe the red number is the estimated grind size upon exiting the burrs. The grind size adjustment is still manually done via the collar, so the numbers below are just a reference point. Not bad info to have if you have multiple locations or want to talk grind settings with wholesale customers.

Carimali Boilerless Machines

Carimali introduced a line of machines with in-line induction heaters which are extremely compact and do not require boilers. Colin Harmon seems to have worked with them on this and had positive things to say.

Silvia Pro

The Silvia Pro is apparently pretty nice. Build quality seems to be what you'd expect from another Rancilio home machine, PID functions are somewhat basic but work, size is larger (you can see a Silvia M in the background of one of the photos there which somewhat helps for scale). I don't think US price will be known for a little while yet.

Lelit Bianca

Folks here are plenty familiar with the Bianca, but I thought these cutaways were pretty cool.

El Rocio Zarre

A premium home dual boiler machine out of Korea, which has an attached control panel that allows dial-controlled pump adjustment on the fly. Sounds like it can run in manual mode or a programmed automatic mode. I've seen this machine once or twice before on social media, they're available now and priced about $2500 or so (in Korean won).
★★ Quite Helpful

Javier

#86: Post by Javier »

SteveRhinehart wrote:Here are a few more images from the show. We're debriefing tomorrow so I don't have a ton of details just yet, but I can fill in more late.
Thank you for the pictures! The Carimali boiler-less espresso machine has an industrial look to it. It will be interesting to get more information about that machine.

And both of Silvia Pro (dual boiler) and El Rocio Zarre look great.
LMWDP #115

EthanL

#87: Post by EthanL »

SteveRhinehart wrote:
Lelit Bianca
Folks here are plenty familiar with the Bianca, but I thought these cutaways were pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing Steve!

I've seen E61 cutaways here and there before, but still to be fascinated by the mechanical work every time. What a piece of art :D

Advertisement
TheMadTamper

#88: Post by TheMadTamper »

Great pictures and info. Looking forward to more!

The new Mahlkonigs look nice. I still have my concerns about long-term reliability of some of the new grinder tech, but if it all holds up that's going to be very nice.

The new trend of ultra tiny machines (that need tremendous current) is interesting with the Carimali. That's probably the biggest real changeup to the bar scene in a long long time. Though I do wonder about it's adoption. It's electrically not suited for most homes, and in a cafe, I can imagine only certain types of operators are going to want to downplay the look of the bar, where theater is more important than what looks like a soda fountain for coffee. Handy for back of house though where space utilization is the only thing that matters, and 3 phase is already everywhere.

Zarre is interesting, not because the machine is terribly remarkable. Digital pressure control and a unique case is maybe not terribly innovative, but a whole new source of machines in Korea is, alone, quite interesting.

But my personal biggest thrill from HOST 2019 is Silvia Pro. That won the show. Poor Silvia has got a lot of grief here and CG over the past 10, 15 years, and is treated like a forgotten relic of the past. Despite the fact that I'd have to be dragged back to SBDU kicking and screaming, I adore Silvia, adored the years using Silvia, and refuse to remove Silvia from my dining room where it remains an attractive reminder of my wonderful early days of the espresso hobby. Seeing Rancilio come out flaunting Silvia and Rocky at HOST in 2019 is heartening. It's not going anywhere any time soon. And they finally added the PID that everyone's been adding since 2006 on the machine that started the entire industry PID trend. Good to see big R follows the trends. :lol: Lucy and Audrey may be forgotten, but long live Queen Silvia!

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the depth is the only major change in size? A deeper Silvia is an interesting proposition.
LMWDP #642

SteveRhinehart

#89: Post by SteveRhinehart »

TheMadTamper wrote:Zarre is interesting, not because the machine is terribly remarkable. Digital pressure control and a unique case is maybe not terribly innovative, but a whole new source of machines in Korea is, alone, quite interesting.
We're on the cusp of Korea and China making quite a lot of headway into the global equipment markets. Somewhere near half of all new SCA education certs in the last year were from Korea alone, with other portions of Asia making up a large chunk of the remainder. Should be an interesting decade in the coffee world.

For the Silvia Pro - I think it's larger in every dimension, but the depth is most noticeable. I haven't seen them in person to compare however.

redbone

#90: Post by redbone »

Mahlkonig E80 Supreme and Mahlkonig E65S GbW look like ideal grinders for their intended cafe usage. Ability to measure, grind quickly, accurately repeatedly with reliability hits all the marks. Not sure regarding retention or ability to single dose but then again not its design or market.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549