Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 102

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Antonee

#1011: Post by Antonee »

Paul_Pratt wrote:No. The current version is done and will remain the same going forward. The regular Robot is the same now as the prototype many years ago and I do not plan on changing it. The only thing I have had to adjust is the pressure gauge tube on the Barista model.
How does one obtain the new pressure gauge tube and how much is it? This morning I pulled a shot and the plastic unprotected tube got caught between the arm and the body, damaging the tube. I'm pretty sure the tube now has a hole in it.. :(

cooperpwc

#1012: Post by cooperpwc »

naked-portafilter wrote:Studying ROBOTics

I gave the parts to the turner this very morning. We discussed a bit how it could probably work with our Smart Espresso Profiler and a few hours later he gave me back the first proto-type. I can't believe.... He should belong to the espresso machine tuners hall of fame. That's how the scuba diver ROBOT works:
Just wow! :D

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#1013: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Antonee wrote:How does one obtain the new pressure gauge tube and how much is it? This morning I pulled a shot and the plastic unprotected tube got caught between the arm and the body, damaging the tube. I'm pretty sure the tube now has a hole in it.. :(
Ouch!

This is worth contacting Cafelat for help. When experimenting during my review I had a tube that I cut a bit too long and it pinched. When I cut it to the right length it stayed clear of the arms. I address your issue if you scroll down in the post linked here.

Robot pressure gauge water path repair
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

andersos

#1014: Post by andersos »

The Smart Espresso Profiler looks really smart on the Robot. Too bad that it's so expensive compared to the robot itself.

leveralex

#1015: Post by leveralex »

So everyone having issues with side channeling, weak body extractions without heavy pre-infusion here is what i have discovered that completely changed my extractions with the robot.

Disclaimer: This might all be total crap and just accidentally fit my style, setup whatever. Check my first post about the Robot i got two and love them to death.

So story: Like many others i noticed that it was kind of hard to get those syrupy extractions from the Robot. Recently i also had a few issues while using heavy dark italian roasts that do not do well with low pressure, long pre infusion at all. Ramping up faster without a lot of pre-infusion always left the stream swirling, weak extraction, typical channeling issues. I started putting the Robot near the edge of the kitchen counter to watch the extractions from below and noticed that flow would always start from the outside - doughnut extractions - no matter what tamping style, tamping pressure etc, which grinder (helor flux, niche zero, kinu m47, kinu m68) - which beans etc pp.

Doing low pressure long pre-infusion like everyone advises with the robot here fixed that to some degree although not completely (syrup body, dark roasts become very unpleasant). Going faster on the pre-infusion and ramp up + max pressure (usually above 6bar this would start to be very noticable) you would notice that it would just side channel no matter what you do.

Solution:

Today it clicked. The edge of the shower screens that you pop in before filling with water are edged down and cut into the puck where?... at the wall of the basket...

First try: I cut a piece of chemex filter the size of the shower screen and just that as a shower screen to be able to fill in water without disrupting the puck too much. Boom... first extraction instantly WORLDS apart in body, side channeling etc pp from using the supplied shower screens. I repeated that... every single extraction as perfect as it could be no matter the pre-infusion, ramp up, final pressure.

Cutting those papers is not very user friendly though and you get a bit of blooming at the beginning, no temperature drop on the boiling water etc so i thought well lets just flip the shower screen. This is of course not ideal as the little knob will be pressed into the middle of the puck but since there are no holes around it etc pp i thought i would give it a try.

Sure enough that worked perfectly too on the first couple tries.

Sooo... give it a try if you miss that syrup body and or got side channeling issues.

@Paul_Pratt Any chance to get shower screens that are just flat instead of bent down? I could probably just go the a machine shop around the corner and let them cut a stainless disk with holes or rasp off the bent down edge but well it might be interesting for you to look into this in general for future versions in case others find the same issue with this and it is not just my imagination (which is perfectly possible ;) )
★ Helpful

cooperpwc

#1016: Post by cooperpwc »

leveralex wrote:So everyone having issues with side channeling, weak body extractions without heavy pre-infusion here is what i have discovered that completely changed my extractions with the robot.

... so i thought well lets just flip the shower screen. This is of course not ideal as the little knob will be pressed into the middle of the puck but since there are no holes around it etc pp i thought i would give it a try.

Sure enough that worked perfectly too on the first couple tries.

Sooo... give it a try if you miss that syrup body and or got side channeling issues...
All hail the Upside-Down Screen Mod! :D

This is clever and has real potential IMO. No time to play with it now but I will.

adyu

#1017: Post by adyu »

Is that a common problem? I've never had any side channeling...

IMAWriter

#1018: Post by IMAWriter replying to adyu »

Nor I. Bad grinder burr alignment can be a cause, but the OP has 6-7 grinders.

jpender

#1019: Post by jpender replying to IMAWriter »

Sorry for the ignorant question, but why would burr alignment cause the flow to be asymmetric?

Balthazar_B

#1020: Post by Balthazar_B replying to jpender »

If the variation and distribution of coffee particles is uneven enough, there will be times where channeling is more prone to occur. Not sure how this would reliably cause the doughnut effect, though. Can't say I've observed this with my Robot.
- John

LMWDP # 577