Inconsistent shot weight with newly received Niche Zero - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sweaner

#71: Post by sweaner »

thefisch6 wrote:Just as a warning, it's been suggested against doing RDT on the Niche; I believe DaveC has indicated it is counterproductive when taking into account the mechanical aspects of this grinder intended to avoid retention. Still, if it works for you and you're not concerned, obviously feel free to ignore me.
Thanks, I do know about the warning. I have not seen any issues doing RDT. Retention is unchanged, and there is no significant build-up of coffee in the grinder. I think that Dave is being cautious.
Scott
LMWDP #248

thefisch6

#72: Post by thefisch6 replying to sweaner »

Good to know it's an option should it become necessary for me.

Cheers

Coffeechap

#73: Post by Coffeechap »

TheN5OfOntario wrote:How did you measure it?
Here annidea

Grind out three doses of you prefers dose, 15, 18, 20 whatever.

Take the first third of each dose and put them together, then the second third of each and put them together and the the third third of each and put them together.

Now pull shots which each of these doses

Report back on the speed of each

You will then have your answer
levers levers levers, is there any other way?
★ Helpful

Nick Name

#74: Post by Nick Name »

Coffeechap wrote:you have to shake and stir the ground coffee from the niche because the particle size is all over the place.
I think this is the time where we simply have to get some measurements to prove that point. I'm not saying it isn't true, but such a statement needs to be proved, I think.

For the record, I don't always give Niche grinds a really good shake and still it makes no significant difference in my cup. As a conical burr grinder Niche may not be the most uniform grinder in the business, but saying it's grind particle size are all over the place needs some reliable proof.

Coffeechap

#75: Post by Coffeechap replying to Nick Name »

Or you can do the simple test above, it's not rocket science
levers levers levers, is there any other way?

drgary
Team HB

#76: Post by drgary »

As a moderator on this forum who does not want to put the thread on Cooldown because of a standoff between members, I have removed several posts where a disagreement started to escalate. If one member's assertions aren't sufficient for another, they can ask for more evidence. If the other does not provide it, let's move on with what we've got. The topic here is to recommend anything that will help the OP solve inconsistent shot weight with the Niche Zero. If he is able to try it and get his setup working consistently, it's been solved for him.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!
★ Helpful

Tavataar

#77: Post by Tavataar »

I am not an expert on the NZ, but I have a couple thoughts:

1. Does it always go "high volume, medium, low" back to back with the Niche? But your Sette is fine if you do three shots in a row? Any chance something is going on with your machine boiler/pressure?

2. I think your distribution after pouring into the portafilter is unnecessary since you are already grinding into another container and shaking it. I wonder if there is some tiny chance you are pushing fines into the basket holes and sometimes blocking them up? (Just kinda grasping at ideas since this is such a weird issue.

liquidmetal (original poster)

#78: Post by liquidmetal (original poster) replying to Tavataar »

1. No, I was not able to establish a pattern with the NZ as opposed to what was good and what was bad. The sette is fine with however many in a row that I pull, so I think that rules out the machine.

2. You could be onto something with that. I will have to go back to the Decent 20g sometime soon and see if i can establish a better pattern. After pulling shots with the NZ I had to spend a little more time making sure the basket was cleaned out and no holes were blocked.

Also, I don't know if you caught up on the whole thread, but the issue is fixed by using the stock baskets. So its something related to the Decent baskets and how it performs compared to the stock ones...

Tavataar

#79: Post by Tavataar »

liquidmetal wrote: Also, I don't know if you caught up on the whole thread, but the issue is fixed by using the stock baskets. So its something related to the Decent baskets and how it performs compared to the stock ones...
Oh whoops, I have been browsing through it. I think someone else mentioned VST as well? May be worth checking out one of their baskets, too.

TheN5OfOntario

#80: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

Coffeechap wrote:Here annidea

Grind out three doses of you prefers dose, 15, 18, 20 whatever.

Take the first third of each dose and put them together, then the second third of each and put them together and the the third third of each and put them together.

Now pull shots which each of these doses

Report back on the speed of each

You will then have your answer
I'll give it a shot! What numbers did you come up with and what dry weight did you use?

I haven't seen a particle distribution graph for the Niche, but you say it's all over the place? Have you seen a graph somewhere?