Top 5 Grinders for Light Roast Espresso Application - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nuketopia

#11: Post by nuketopia »

I say double blind testing is in order. There was a recent article from a coffee tradeshow that seemed to indicate the conical was the crowd favorite.

Honestly, without a double blind test, we're all subject to our biases and influences. I would venture that in double blind testing, even experts would not be able to reliably identify either burr type by simply tasting the resulting beverage.

There have been any number of trendy notions on the 'net over the last decade that I've been seriously making espresso, most have come and gone and few have really stood the test of time.

I have certainly been able to prepare very light and "scandanavian" roasts on a number of occasions with no difficulty at all with the Monolith Conical and the LMLM.

We spend way more time dinking around over equipment than we do coffee - curiously being that coffee is the most important part of the whole process. :)

If anyone can point at a bean that can only be ground and served from a flat grinder and not a conical grinder, please point me at it. :mrgreen:
★ Helpful

cafemolino

#12: Post by cafemolino »

nuketopia wrote: Honestly, without a double blind test, we're all subject to our biases and influences. I would venture that in double blind testing, even experts would not be able to reliably identify either burr type by simply tasting the resulting beverage.
full agree, the blind testing in Southern France with over 140 Coffee gurus (if I am not mistaken 2015), where not able and they could not tell by tasting. :wink:

From the industry I know that is much easier and cheaper to make flat burrs that explains a lot for this matter flat/conical.

Denis

#13: Post by Denis »

How you can say there is no difference in taste that human can feel, if you pull shots with the same coffee with a big conical (83 mm) you usually get 19-21 % EY and with a big flat suited for light roasts you can get 24-26% EY?

These phrases you wrote are just to implement in your mind and some others that you don't need to upgrade, or another mill because there is no difference between them. Or maybe you don't see/taste any difference and then there is a problem with you not with the equipment.

There is a huge difference but you have to extract with both in the way that maximizes the extraction for each grinder. If you do 30 sec shots for both then you are doing a big mistake. Now I see people are stuck into numbers (1:2 ratio, 25-35 sec, 18 g dose) but coffee is not about that, coffee is not about numbers. The numbers were made for an easier way for beginners to understand from where to start.

Each coffee and piece of equipment has to be exploited different to get the most out of it. This is the difference between coffee enthusiasts that progress and people who just enjoy a cup of coffee.
★★ Quite Helpful

redbone

#14: Post by redbone »

^^
+1
"Each coffee and piece of equipment has to be exploited different to get the most out of it. " No finer words stated here on H-B.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Aguirre (original poster)

#15: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

Denis wrote:How you can say there is no difference in taste that human can feel, if you pull shots with the same coffee with a big conical (83 mm) you usually get 19-21 % EY and with a big flat suited for light roasts you can get 24-26% EY?
Excellent point. If a taster cannot differentiate between a 19% and a 25% shot, then you need to find a better taster
cafemolino wrote:full agree, the blind testing in Southern France with over 140 Coffee gurus (if I am not mistaken 2015), where not able and they could not tell by tasting
What blind testing was that? What were they testing? And who are the "gurus"?

cafemolino

#16: Post by cafemolino »

Aguirre wrote: What blind testing was that? What were they testing? And who are the "gurus"?
Cote d'Azure

french coffee meeting blind test Flat / Conical, was in a french magazine

erik82

#17: Post by erik82 »

I did some testing between 83mm conical, 75mm Mythos and EG-1 and will never go back to conical burrs for the light roasts I'm using. It's a pretty big difference once you get it right and the flat burrs win hands down, no doubt about that. Those flat burrs are able to give a much higher EY than what's possible with conical burrs and that makes all the difference.

Maybe you didn't have light roasts that where developed properly. I usually buy my beans from Tim Wendelboe, Coffee Collective, Friedhats and La Cabra.

On topic again: You could add the Ditting 804 LAB SWEET to the list of very good grinders for light roasts and capable of espresso.
★ Helpful

cafemolino

#18: Post by cafemolino »

erik82 wrote: On topic again: You could add the Ditting 804 LAB SWEET to the list of very good grinders for light roasts and capable of espresso.
that might makes sense, in France, Spain and Italy they usually do not drink green coffee :wink:

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by Terranova »

cafemolino wrote:Cote d'Azure

french coffee meeting blind test Flat / Conical, was in a french magazine
They didn't pull espresso shots.

redbone

#20: Post by redbone »

Got to do some testing at a local roastery. Same coffee fresh roasted to the same medium level only difference being the processing method pulp natural vs washed. Found that we unanimously preferred the washed method ground on a flat grinder and the pulp natural with a conical grinder as an espresso coffee. Took no less than 3 shots to dial in best grind setting on each grinder.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549