Baratza Forte vs Mahlkonig EK43: Which is Better? - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Aguirre

#91: Post by Aguirre »

Almico wrote:I got some pre-roasted samples from Nordic Approach a few months back. They were fairly light and fully developed, but not nearly this light. Different strokes for different folks, but that looks awful.

I'm excited to get my Cormorant "sample" roaster up and running so I can try some experimentation with lighter roasts. I'd gladly sacrifice 100g to the Nordic gods and try some 12% roasts, but not 5#.
I've had some very successful 12% roasts and even less than that. Grinding them in the HG-1 really shows the difference. No way you can do it without a strong clamp. And it will be a good workout.

Just want to go back to the "un cracked" roasts, and translating that to percentages: According to my current knowledge, un cracked would be 0% or even "negative" development, correct? Or am I reading anything wrong?

Almico (original poster)

#92: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Aguirre wrote:I've had some very successful 12% roasts and even less than that. Grinding them in the HG-1 really shows the difference. No way you can do it without a strong clamp. And it will be a good workout.
I have the Helor Stance Motor and would likely only load the grind chamber with the burrs already spinning.

Advertisement
Denis

#93: Post by Denis »

The coffee looks indeed bad on the view, but the taste is way too good to ignore it. Both in espresso (60-75 sec shots) and in V60. This is not only my opinion, there are more who use this coffee (same roast same roaster) and they say it is fantastic. It is indeed hard to work with it on espresso. With conical or traditional pump machine I cannot do it.

This is the reason why I posted images of the Vario beeing not the same as Forte. This is the reason i posted 2 photos of really light beans. So people don't break their grinders (vario's converted Forte by adding steel burrs). Don't do it, on other forums we had people with new grinders failing after 1 week.

This is the coffee, it is good but only after letting it sit for 10 days+.

SCAA CUPPING SCORE 90.75

Blueberry, strawberry, lemon zest, peach, plum, chocolate, winey

suggested for espresso and filter

Ferrariandcoffee

#94: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Almico, what kind of motor does your Helor use? I noticed they look very similar to the ones for the motors for the WUG Hg-1 kits

malling

#95: Post by malling »

Yes JB can be crazy light, but I have experienced equally light roasts before from other roastsers, hower it's often hit or miss.

I agree that such roasts are very difficult to work with, these also tend to have a somewhat narrow window.

11-14% is typically my preferred window, but I have enjoyed som excellent coffees that where less developed then that. So obviously Rao's is waaaay to dark for me, I don't even remember a 20% roast I actually enjoyed!

turbo290

#96: Post by turbo290 »

Hmmm. I was very interested in this thread since the Forte is on my short list. Seems to have veered completely off topic.

Intrepid510

#97: Post by Intrepid510 replying to turbo290 »

You would be dead right.

However, the thread was a little contentious for a bit and it was mainly due to the misunderstanding of the use of each of these grinders.

Let me summarize what I find to be the consensus of the thread;

The Forté BG is an excellent grinder for present day light roasts just on the other side of first crack and for most applications it will arguably perform as well as an EK43 or better.

However, the EK43 is a commercial grinder and with it being properly aligned will most likely outperform the Forté and can be used to grind coffee that is super light roasted not even to the point of first crack. And you probably need a grinder of this caliber to be able grind said coffee.

Advertisement
Aguirre

#98: Post by Aguirre »

Denis wrote:The coffee looks indeed bad on the view, but the taste is way too good to ignore it. Both in espresso (60-75 sec shots) and in V60. This is not only my opinion, there are more who use this coffee (same roast same roaster) and they say it is fantastic. It is indeed hard to work with it on espresso. With conical or traditional pump machine I cannot do it.

This is the reason why I posted images of the Vario beeing not the same as Forte. This is the reason i posted 2 photos of really light beans. So people don't break their grinders (vario's converted Forte by adding steel burrs). Don't do it, on other forums we had people with new grinders failing after 1 week.

This is the coffee, it is good but only after letting it sit for 10 days+.

SCAA CUPPING SCORE 90.75

Blueberry, strawberry, lemon zest, peach, plum, chocolate, winey

suggested for espresso and filter
OK, for the sake of keeping this thread on track, I've just opened another topic in the Roasting corner. I'm really interested in knowing about these un-craked roasts :)
If anyone wants to hop in that other conversation, here it is:
Un-Cracked (AKA 0% developed) Roasts. Anyone?

guydebord

#99: Post by guydebord »

Intrepid510 wrote:You would be dead right.

However, the thread was a little contentious for a bit and it was mainly due to the misunderstanding of the use of each of these grinders.

Let me summarize what I find to be the consensus of the thread;

The Forté BG is an excellent grinder for present day light roasts just on the other side of first crack and for most applications it will arguably perform as well as an EK43 or better.

However, the EK43 is a commercial grinder and with it being properly aligned will most likely outperform the Forté and can be used to grind coffee that is super light roasted not even to the point of first crack. And you probably need a grinder of this caliber to be able grind said coffee.
You forgot a very important disclaimer. That this "contentious" post started from a link to an extremely short and unsubstantiated opinion published in the blog of one celebrity coffee consultant with financial interests in the industry.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni
★ Helpful

culturesub

#100: Post by culturesub »

What exactly are his financial interests that would impact this discussion?