One Of Our Coffee Family Has Lost Everything

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
doubleOsoul

#1: Post by doubleOsoul »

Friends, I learned late last night that Randy Glass (Randy G.) and his wife lost their home to the Northern California (Butte) fires. They have lost everything and are staying with friends until they figure out what to do next. Among their destroyed possessions are all of Randy's shop tools, roasters and coffee equipment, some newer, some vintage. Friends, they can't even make a decent cup of coffee. I am more than willing to drive up to Chico to take them a care package, some equipment and whatever else I can think of but I wanted to reach out to this caring coffee community and see if anyone has something they think Randy & Val could use/might need - anything. Maybe they just need to know they are not alone. I know that Randy has contributed many years to this wonderful coffee site with his Hottop tips, tricks and help in general and I think it would mean a lot if we could help them in some way while they deal with their loss.

Please PM me if you have any ideas, suggestions or items to contribute.

Any thank you coffee family.

doubleOsoul (original poster)

#2: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

Hi Coffee Family,
I have a reply from Randy that I will post in quotes below explaining that they are okay and would rather see others less fortunate be helped. Thank you to all the kind folks who were willing to give so much so quickly. We really are a family here :)
Letting folks know our situation is fine and will explain my lack of posting over the next few months, but right now in terms of assistance I do not think there is much anyone can do. Folks can donate to the Red Cross or similar charities for the victims who really need the help. There are hundreds of families who are living in tents and in places like the Wal-Mart parking lot who did not have much to begin with and little or no insurance. Those are the folks who need it.
★★ Quite Helpful

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

Thank you for this, Cher. I reposted it on Facebook. So Randy may hear from some of his old alt.coffee friends.
Marshall
Los Angeles

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Randy has been on the coffee-web for longer than any of us. My heart goes out to him, and I hope people will make all the donations they can in his name.

Randy, I hope you get your life back asap.
Jim Schulman

robin416

#5: Post by robin416 »

I spent more than a day reading his website as I was trying to absorb as much as I could about the art of espresso. It's one of my favorite sites to visit.

I knew he lived in the mountains but for whatever reason I thought it was further East away from that devastation. Like the rest of you, I hope he and his wife are able to land somewhere comfortable to call home again soon. That sentiment goes to everyone affected.

#6: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:Thank you for this, Cher. I reposted it on Facebook. So Randy may hear from some of his old alt.coffee friends.
Thank you for posting on FB, Marshall. And good to hear from you - very long time, no see.

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall replying to doubleOsoul »

I caught up with Randy every year at the Hottop booth at the SCA Expo until this year, when they parted ways. Randy was always very helpful to beginners like me (long, long ago).
Marshall
Los Angeles

#8: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Randy has been on the coffee-web for longer than any of us. My heart goes out to him, and I hope people will make all the donations they can in his name.

Randy, I hope you get your life back asap.
He sure has been on the coffee web longer than all of us. I personally appreciate all the hand holding in my early Hottop ownership days - never mind some great harp. Hopefully he and Val will get settled into something soon so they can get to rebuilding soon.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#9: Post by jbviau »

Cher, thanks for the update. How awful. I met Randy at SCAA a few years ago (yes, this was pre-SCA), and even in that brief encounter I could sense he was a good soul. Lately events seem to be conspiring to remind me that we really shouldn't take anything or anyone for granted; we hardly ever know what we're about to lose. I'd love to help somehow.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

I read all the replies here last night but had to wait as my eyes were so filled with tears that I could not type. I have been active in these forums for 18 years and met more wonderful people than I could have ever imagined. I have been involved in controversy and shared all I possibly could as those who helped me along had done. The reward is reflected in the kind comments I have read in these posts.

I do consider myself lucky. My wife and I are fine as is our GSD and the three 16.5 year old cats. Our 12 year old southeast Asian catfish did not make it. We drove out in our two Volvos with my computer, my personal letters from Shelby Foote, and my archive of CD and DVD disks. Other than that all the rest is gone.

But we are among the lucky ones. There were many who had homes which could not be insured, some who had no insurance at all, and had little to lose and lost even that. And so many who lost their lives. While some of what we had cannot be replaced, most of it can. We have a deposit on an RV, and in a few weeks we will pick it up. It's bigger than I would have ever imagined owning, but it will make for a very comfortable home for us and the pets. The insurance will take care of the rest.

Good friend's opened their home to us so we are warm and dry. And the good friend's here are what have warmed my heart.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done
★ Helpful