Espresso Machine Upgrade - Breville Dual Boiler (BDB) or Decent DE1PRO?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Kaldi23

#1: Post by Kaldi23 »

I'm looking to upgrade my machine, and have narrowed the field to a BDB or Decent DE1PRO. Would like to hear H-B'ers thoughts on these two machines. I currently drink espresso-only. While it's not an immediate priority, I would like to have solid steaming ability. I'm the only coffee drinker in the household - 1-3 shots per day. I am an engineer, so am comfortable with geeking on the machine. Ruled out the many E61 options due to: long heat-up times, what I percieve to be the trickery involved in adjusting shot parameters, and the bling factor, which just isn't important to me.

BDB Pros:
(1) Cost
(2) Performance - temperature control and ability to adjust pressure profile
(3) Support - both from Breville and the H-B community

BDB Cons:
(1) Reliability - repairable and serviceable, but probably not a 10-year machine
(2) Steaming performance - good, but relatively slow. Not a big deal to me atm (may not ever be)

Decent Pros:
(1) Performance and adjustability - I like infinite adjustability coupled with repeatability
(2) Form factor - simple design in a compact package
(3) Support - my impression is that Decent support is good + they appear to have a very active user's group
(4) Plumbable

Decent Cons:
(1) Risks of early adoption - my sense is the v1.1 Decents have had bugs, some of which have been addressed and some of which will be addressed with future versions. However, my worst fear: Decent stops making and supporting these machines, mine breaks, and I have an expensive paperweight
(2) Unknown reliability - no idea what's going to break and whether I will be able to service the machine myself
(3) No simultaneous brew and steam - again, not a priority to me now and may never be

Thoughts?

DaveB

#2: Post by DaveB »

FWIW, sounds like you can geek out more on the Decent. If you ever plan to entertain, then BDB hands down. It can bang out drink after drink with minimal fuss. And yes, by "drink" I'm referring to lattés, caps, cortados - which at least 90% of your guests will want from an espresso machine. And while the steaming is indeed slower than most machines, it will hardly slow down your workflow. And you will be hard-pressed to make better microfoam on other machines irrespective of price.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Advertisement
Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bill33525 »

A nice feature of the Decent is the "Computerized Recipe". If you are interested in complex pulls the the Decent can perform them with perfect repeat-ability.

BaristaBob

#4: Post by BaristaBob »

Kaldi23 wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my machine, and have narrowed the field to a BDB or Decent DE1PRO. Would like to hear H-B'ers thoughts on these two machines. I currently drink espresso-only. While it's not an immediate priority, I would like to have solid steaming ability. I'm the only coffee drinker in the household - 1-3 shots per day. I am an engineer, so am comfortable with geeking on the machine. Ruled out the many E61 options due to: long heat-up times, what I percieve to be the trickery involved in adjusting shot parameters, and the bling factor, which just isn't important to me.

BDB Pros:
(1) Cost

BDB Cons:
(1) Reliability - repairable and serviceable, but probably not a 10-year machine
(2) Steaming performance - good, but relatively slow. Not a big deal to me atm (may not ever be)

Decent Pros:
(1) Performance and adjustability - I like infinite adjustability coupled with repeatability
(3) Support - my impression is that Decent support is good + they appear to have a very active user's group
(4) Plumbable

Decent Cons:
(1) Risks of early adoption - my sense is the v1.1 Decents have had bugs, some of which have been addressed and some of which will be addressed with future versions. However, my worst fear: Decent stops making and supporting these machines, mine breaks, and I have an expensive paperweight
(2) Unknown reliability - no idea what's going to break and whether I will be able to service the machine myself
(3) No simultaneous brew and steam - again, not a priority to me now and may never be

Thoughts?
Chris,

Well I think you nailed the two machines that really represent the biggest bang for your buck...IMO. I'm in Dave's camp...a flatwhite/latte drinker and I have never found the BDB wanting for steam...it's very dry and the difference in steaming 8oz. of milk comes down to maybe 5 seconds at most. Also I challenge anyone to produce better microfoam. Reliability is the con-factor, but you are in good company, maybe even great company with Peter forging the way with solid advice on servicing these machines. I'm two and half years into mine with no hint of a problem. Maybe I'm just fortunate, but I do back flushes every night after my three shots.

The Decent machines, well it appears to be great technology and I think it's going to prove itself for many years to come. You take a risk being one of the first, but with that risk comes a great price which may never come this way again.

Bottom line...you can't make a bad decision going with either machine. Enjoy the journey! 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Iowa_Boy

#5: Post by Iowa_Boy »

You summarized the pros and cons perfectly.
You can do what I am doing - picked up a BDB for about half price on Craigslist and then planning to get a Decent once V1.3 is out. Planning to keep both!

Kaldi23 (original poster)

#6: Post by Kaldi23 (original poster) replying to Iowa_Boy »

v1.3: would you mind summarizing the differences re: v1.1? I think they include: modified brew head geometry (at least in part to address soupy pucks) and buttons on the brew head. Not sure if/what the others are. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on why it's worthwhile to wait?

Iowa_Boy

#7: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to Kaldi23 »

I was looking for a chart that Decent posted about a month back that lists all the upcoming changes but couldn't find it.
You are correct that the main improvement with 1.1 is the brew head geometry and buttons on the brew head with 1.3.
I don't know that it is worthwhile for others to wait, as it seems like even 1.0 is getting great reviews.
But I am really liking how easy is is to remove the pucks with my BDB, so definitely I would want at least the Decent 1.1.
And I like the idea of having some physical buttons as well, so that means likely waiting to 1.3
Plus, it seems like Decent is making continual small improvements regularly with the DE1PRO.
Since my BDB is working perfectly and purchasing the Decent is really for fun rather than necessity, it pays for me to wait a bit until a few more kinks are worked out. Downside of that is price may increase by then. But I am willing to take that chance. No doubt it is an awesome machine though.
Can't go wrong with either one it seems. Another option is to get the BDB from Costco and try it for a month or two - if you don't love it just return!

Advertisement
JayBeck

#8: Post by JayBeck replying to Iowa_Boy »

I was originally planning to do what you said: Wait until v1.3. After doing more research and talking with John, I jumped in on the amazing $2500 deal for a DE1PRO ($800 off assuming you don't need the plumbing kits).

A few key takeaways from my research and conversation with John:

v1.0 vs v1.1

As far as I can tell, there are really only 2 major changes:

1. The v1.1 redesign is more about efficiency in assembly than it is about a better grouphead. Most of the design tweaks allow them to build the machine quicker which means fewer man hours involved on assembly per machine. The other benefit is yes, it has 4mm less headspace which brings it more in line with other machines. Head space is the only thing giving a drier puck, not some sort of new pressure release design. What this means in practical terms is you simply updose by 2g on a v1.0 machine to get the exact same result as a v1.1 machine. Soupy pucks are really only a problem with someone trying to use 1-2 basket sizes rather than having a complete set of appropriately sized baskets. I'm fine turning my 18g VST into a 20g VST for the drier puck. I prefer larger shots anyways.

2. They are redesigning the frame in v1.1 with a small support behind the shot mirror (i.e. nothing visible on the exterior). This change adds a bit more support for shipping. Several v1.0 machines were bent in transit. If yours is bent, it's not a big deal. Due to the amazing design, 4 simple screws and the base comes off. John will send you a free replacement and it's as simple as a few screws.

*Preorders will of course get the plumbing kits once they are done with being designed. The v1.0 machines for purchase now don't come with this (part of the reason for the discount). v1.1 should ship with the kit for those who plan to plumb.

v1.1 vs v1.3

3. The biggest thing with v1.3 will be the UL certification. The byproduct of this certification are the grouphead buttons. While the grouphead buttons will be nice for the tactile feel, they are hardly game changing. The tablet software to start the shot won't change for v1.0-v1.1 machines. This is the beautiful thing about the Decent machines: Through the App, no machine will be left behind in making drinks. The 'brains' of the machine will continue to evolve regardless of which version you have (see below).

The following are likely (but not completed / guaranteed for v1.3. ALL OF THEM can be retrofited into a v1.0 or v1.1 machine.

4. Updated Android 7.0 tablet. John is looking at a nicer tablet for the interface. The tablet will be for sale on the website when available and of course works on any machine. This 'modular' part of the design is what I was referring to in #3. Very simple 'upgrade' when it arrives.

5. Updated flow meter. John is working on a more accurate flow meter and/or process for accurately measuring flow. The one presently being used is used in all major espresso machines. In the event a new meter is determined to be more accurate, it can be purchased / installed in a v1.0 / v1.1 machine. And if firmware makes it more accurate -- bingo! Your machine will get that too.

6. Updated heating element. John is working on an updated heater set up. They are testing several versions to get as much power as they can in both 110 and 220v set ups. Note: The DE1PRO will never be able to steam/brew on 110v and likely never on 220v. If you want more power to do that you'll need to by the DECAFE. The DE1PRO is just too small to fit all that in there which is why they built the Cafe model. The purpose of the updated heater design will be to speed up the preshot warm up and to reduce the time it takes to steam milk. If/when an updated heater is chosen to be better, it will be something that can be purchased an installed in a prior machine.

Another cool thing I have confirmed: The Cafe wand will soon be for sale on the website and is 100% compatible with the other machines. So if you want that professional wand style, you will be able to get that soon.

As many users have previously stated, for a v1.0 machine, the Decent is incredibly mature. The iterations above are relatively minor, can all but the grouphead be easily retrofitted into an older machine, and do not materially change the experience (wet pucks not withstanding; although they are easily fixed by dosing up 2g). As John has said (and I now agree after processing the above facts), it's really not worth waiting for the next minor iteration. You'll be missing out on a game-changing experience in the interim. And if you check today, v1.3 is no longer a January 2019 event but a March 2019. Delayed UL certification could push that back even more. I personally did not want to wait 6+ months and went ahead and purchased the v1.0 machine. I don't think I'm alone in this reasoning, as a few are selling each day. As of this post, 12 out of the 50 listed for sale are available. Next week this time they should all be sold. I'll post back with my thoughts!

JayBeck

#9: Post by JayBeck »

Kaldi23 wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my machine, and have narrowed the field to a BDB or Decent DE1PRO. Would like to hear H-B'ers thoughts on these two machines. I currently drink espresso-only. While it's not an immediate priority, I would like to have solid steaming ability. I'm the only coffee drinker in the household - 1-3 shots per day. I am an engineer, so am comfortable with geeking on the machine. Ruled out the many E61 options due to: long heat-up times, what I percieve to be the trickery involved in adjusting shot parameters, and the bling factor, which just isn't important to me.

BDB Pros:
(1) Cost

BDB Cons:

Decent Pros:
(4) Plumbable

Decent Cons:

Thoughts?
You are considering, in my opinion and research, the 2 best home espresso machines on the market. I was at this exact same crossroads. I used a BDB for 30 days and loved every minute of it. Last night I ordered the DE1 and sent back my BDD via a 'free return' policy.

The BDB is simply an amazing machine. It can preinfuse starting around 3ml/s (55% of pump) and go up from there. You can preinfuse up to 99 seconds and increase the pump up to full (around 6ml/s) so you have a LOT of ability to produce amazing shots, even mirroing shots you see on the DE1. Its pressure gague is at the puck, something few machines have. This allows you to see when preinfusion is complete (i.e pressure rises to 3-4 bar) and go to full pump pressure. You can then pressure profile during the full shot via the hot water knob (there are posts on here about that but it's linear and straight forward). The temp is super stable, it heats in 5 minutes, and has tons of nice Breville ease of use features: fill water tank from the top, visible water level, auto clean cycle, clean reminder, empty drip tray notification, etc. The steam, like Bob said, is amazing. It makes effortless microfoam in a very reasonable amount of time. Super easy to pour latte art.

So what's not to like? Well, you named it -- concerns with reliability. While the $400 repair program is simple in that they send you a box, you send them the machine, they send it back, some users have reported issues such as their problem not being properly fixed. Some users (like Peter) have received brand new machines. I think the issue there is not can it be fixed but is there $400 of repairs needed? Most times, the answer is no and that's the frustration. O-Rings ($10), a solenoid ($40), a grouphead collar ($3), a pump ($40), and the cursed steam ball valve ($50) are the common points of failure, all items that are very easily user replaced. The problem is parts are not readily available. The o-rings and pump are universal. The grouphead collar used to be listed on Breville's website but no longer for some reason. Ereplacement parts recently listed them but users are getting emails a few weeks later that sounds like a 'false positive.' It's a simple plastic collar that can break from locking in the portafilter. I am absolutely baffled that it's even a thing! It should be sold along side the gasket (that they call a 'steam ring' for some reason).

The solenoid goes in and out of stock on ereplacement parts but appears to now be in stock (could be a false positive though). The biggeset issue is the steam ball valve. Seems to get leaky every 12-24 months. Some people make it 3 years. Problem is they have been out of stock forever. There may be one in stock now but it also may be a 'false positive' as it's listed in a category not even connected to the BDB. Peter is close to finding a generic part and filing it down to fit. Again -- I can't believe this is even a thing. Spending $400 every time a $40 part wears out can get very expensive, very fast, over the life of a machine.

RANT: I have no idea why Breville / Phil McKnight won't just release the BDB parts. Every espresso forum has these same experiences with the BDB. I get the Oracle / Barista Touch being a consumer focused machine that would be easier for them to service. But the BDB is a home barista's dream machine, yet many of us who would be perfectly content with it are afraid to own one due to the fact they when simple wearable parts wear out we can't easily get them to keep out machine going for decades. To be clear, the BDB can make coffee that very few machines (if any) can beat at a fraction of the cost. It's one HECK of a machine and I was totally blown away but couldn't commit long term due to the above.

/endrant

If the DE1PRO didn't exist, I'd have kept the BDB and just dealt with it like many have. But the DE1PRO is an incredible machine. I believe it will be something that should last for decades (It's rated for 200,000 shots, more than I'll use in my life time) and is proving to be the real deal in technology. It can do stuff $20,000 machines can't. It's solidly built and accepts commercial portafilters (After using the BDB for a month and going back to my Pro 500, I had forgotten how nice the solid feel of true commercial equipment was like to use; plastic is ok but nothing creaks on all metal machines when you lock in).

To me, the DE1PRO's killer feature is flow profiling. The BDB can pressure profile with the best of them. But flow profiling is where things get interesting. It can make bad shots salvagable; it can repair channels making shots that would have sucked on a GS3 very good on a DE1PRO. It also allows for a natural pressure decline (via puck degredation) as it will make sure flow stays to what you have it set on so if there is less resistance then it will reduce the pump so that flow doesn't increase. Brilliant stuff.

All the other geeky feature aside (which I"m sure I"ll use, including emulations!), the ability to have the same flow, every time, is a true game changer. I have no worries about part supply if something goes wrong. John strikes me as someone just like Denis (Kafatek) or Reiss (Londinium). All of them will respond to your emails and get you what you need, timely. This is something Breville refuses to do which is what drove me to look elsewhere.

So both machiens will make incredible coffee. The DE1PRO will be the last machine you ever need to buy. To be fair, you could just keep spending money on the Breville repair program. But every 3rd trip is the equivalent of buying a new machine. In 10 years could likely have as much invested in the BDB as you do in a DE1PRO. Something to think about.

Enjoy the journey!

(NOTE: I'm a huge fan of Breville and did not mean this to come off as a bash. But it's a real issue in my opinion for easily repairable parts not to be readily available, causing unnecessary trips to service centers. If that were to be fixed, then the BDB would be sitting on my bench and I wouldn't have splurged on the DE1PRO. That's how impressed I was with my 30-day use of the BDB).
★ Helpful

kenyabob

#10: Post by kenyabob »

Ive followed JayBecks journey through BDB land. That, along with Peter's comments and suggestions have finally convinced me to order the BDB.

That said, its clear you should only buy brand new and with the warranty in place. With some retailer trickery, you can extend Brevilles warranty and make sure you've got a lot of coverage for a machine who's reliability track record is spotty. It could also be that Breville comes back and starts stocking parts again. I man can hope.

I also have the time to wait and see what else Decent has up their sleeve. Id love to be able to have the app on my phone vs a dedicated tablet, but I could easily be wrong. But,I think that spending 1k now for a guaranteed 4 years with the BDB is smart, and gives me lots of room to start on this new hobby.