La Marzocco GS/3 with Particles in Steam Boiler Water

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
YseanY

#1: Post by YseanY »

Today, I used the water from my steam boiler for some pour over (heated in a kettle) and noticed when I was rinsing the filter, there were black particles left on the filter. The particle appears to be metallic but when rubbed on the figures, it smears like ink. In addition, the hot water coming out appeared yellow. I tried flushing a few buckets from the machine and the yellow water has cleared up but the particles still exist. Normally, I try to flush out a liter or so of water weekly but have not been religious about it the past 1-2 months.

I've tested the water at the tap which shares the same inlet to the GS/3, the water immediately after the water filters (what I use to flush the filters after a new replacement), and the group head water but they all did not present any particles. I've also tried adjusting the water temperature knob so it is at the lowest temperature and the particle seems to have lessened to pretty much none so it leads me to believe that the water source is clean but something is wrong with the steam boiler.

Anyone experience this before? Any suggestions on what to look for? Should I try to keep flushing the steam boiler (I've flushed about 2-3 gallons so far).

Thanks in advance!

lagoon

#2: Post by lagoon »

Time for a descale I would think.

SilentDoom

#3: Post by SilentDoom replying to lagoon »

Is this really what it is?

How long have you had the machine? And do you hook up just to tap water?

boost

#4: Post by boost »

Are you using some kind activated carbon filter? When you put new filter normally they recommend flushing for few minutes but some particles can still escape.

YseanY (original poster)

#5: Post by YseanY (original poster) »

boost wrote:Are you using some kind activated carbon filter? When you put new filter normally they recommend flushing for few minutes but some particles can still escape.
I am and I've flushed it after installing a new filter. I've also ran water out of the flushing tube and don't see any particles. It doesn't seem to appear in the group boiler either.
SilentDoom wrote:Is this really what it is?

How long have you had the machine? And do you hook up just to tap water?
The machine is just shy of 4 years old and it runs off a generic 3 filter system. Softener, sediment, and carbon.
lagoon wrote:Time for a descale I would think.
Is this what scale would look like? I assumed it would be white but I've checked water hardness relatively frequently and I've always kept it within range so I was hoping I could avoid scale as long as possible.

lagoon

#6: Post by lagoon »

How frequently do you use the water from the service boiler?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

YseanY wrote:

Is this what scale would look like? I assumed it would be white but I've checked water hardness relatively frequently and I've always kept it within range so I was hoping I could avoid scale as long as possible.
No, scale would be white. That really does look like some of the carbon filter particles got into the boiler.
LMWDP 267

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

Looks like particles from the carbon filter.

I never use boiler water for any sort of filter brewing. Far smarter and better tasting to use the steam wand to heat good clean water in a pitcher. It takes only a matter of seconds and you can use fresh water of whatever makeup you choose. I have 2 liter lab grade borosilicate bottles filled with my Brita filtered (already very soft) water that I've remineralized with the Perger water recipe. A nice commercial boiler like the GS3 or my Linea or Speedster or Leva will have it up to whatever brew temp I want, really quick.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/
★ Helpful

YseanY (original poster)

#9: Post by YseanY (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Looks like particles from the carbon filter.

I never use boiler water for any sort of filter brewing. Far smarter and better tasting to use the steam wand to heat good clean water in a pitcher. It takes only a matter of seconds and you can use fresh water of whatever makeup you choose. I have 2 liter lab grade borosilicate bottles filled with my Brita filtered (already very soft) water that I've remineralized with the Perger water recipe. A nice commercial boiler like the GS3 or my Linea or Speedster or Leva will have it up to whatever brew temp I want, really quick.
JohnB. wrote:No, scale would be white. That really does look like some of the carbon filter particles got into the boiler.
I don't usually use water from the machine but I was pressed for time so just pulled water from it the other day.

Carbon particles was what I thought but odd thing is I can't seem to find it in other outlets that go through the filter. I've been flushing more water from it and the particles seemed to have lessened though. Thoughts on if I should just keep flushing till the particles disappear? Could there be any damage in my boiler from this?

Also, I've realized an odd noise coming from the broiler and made a recording below (noise comes in around 10sec mark). Is this normal? I don't usually use water from the machine so never really paid attention.

gr2020

#10: Post by gr2020 »

Could the particles be corrosion of some sort? Not sure what that would look like...