Setting up Coffee Bar Without Using Kitchen Counters

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

We are buying a nice older house that is a good size but only modest kitchen counter space. My wife does not want two grinders, a large espresso machine, and drip maker to take up that space. We are holding off on doing remodeling other than floors/paint. What I need in the meantime is a nice coffee bar setup that looks nice, not some makeshift table. I cannot envision what that might look like. My equipment will not be plumbed. We have a room (prior owner's dining room) just adjacent the kitchen that we are not using as a dining room so I might use some space there.

I am avoiding a search engine because I'd rather start here to know what others who have faced this issue have done. Thanks for any ideas.

MB

#2: Post by MB »

Espresso/Entertaining bar?
LMWDP #472

Advertisement
spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

I'm using Metro Erecta wire shelving with a granite top (cheap remnant). Metro/Metro "style" shelves come in a wide selection of widths & depths, etc.

Ignore the mess...but you get the idea.

No Espresso = Depresso

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

You might want to look though this topic: Post a pic of your home espresso setup...

5000+ posts can be a little daunting. You can do a google image search on something like:
"home espresso setup" site:home-barista.com

Then you have condensed pages of hundreds of image thumbnails to scroll through and can just click on those that look interesting.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h
★ Helpful

smite

#5: Post by smite »

Freestanding kitchen carts or islands are a good option. We got some good ideas at a local Crate and Barrel and then looked online or in antique places until we found something that matched the style we wanted. Obviously height is important from a usability standpoint so be sure to check that. Also check out options with folding down extensions if space is tight.

lagoon

#6: Post by lagoon »

Do you have space for a Butcher's Block?

iploya (original poster)

#7: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Thanks all, good ideas to get the wheels turning. And I will try that advanced Google search suggested above. Wife is also finding stuff in Pinterest or whatever it's called.

Advertisement
bronsht

#8: Post by bronsht »

I'm in the same situation. Old house, small kitchen whose counter already has a Cremina and a Leva. When I got my go to which is the Rocket, I had to do something. I slapped together a table for the Rocket in the adjacent dining room. Later I had to make an additional small table to go next to that so as to hold the grinder and all of its paraphernalia. The first table only has room for the Rocket or else I would have made just one table. I won't show any pics as neither is anything to brag about. If you cannot build a setup, then some of the above suggestions are great ideas.

Bret

#9: Post by Bret »

Check out the origami line of folding shelving and table units. They have some butcher block units on casters (so you could move it easily, perhaps near the sink when cleaning, etc), and there is a baker's rack with a counter surface and an upper shelf as well as the lower shelves for storage. I have both (do not use them for coffee stations) and they are well made.

I don't have this adjustable height table (yet -- just noticed it when I went looking for the baker's rack which is currently not available) but it looks perfect for another application that I have in mind.

https://smile.amazon.com/Origami-Down-S ... 01MDKTXFS/

thirdshifter

#10: Post by thirdshifter »

It may be too industrial for what you want, but I'm loving my 30x30 stainless steel equipment stand with undershelf and 2" edging (from Webstaurant). They also sell longer legs, to make it counter height, and we bought an extra undershelf. You can get a longer length to accommodate your extra grinder. It's very stable and secure and the edging really comes in handy.

Here's my sick setup: