Espresso machine for small restaurant

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Abeli

#1: Post by Abeli »

Hi everyone

i recently took a barista class...... i just learned the basic about coffee recipes and all ....

BUT they did not teach me nothing about machines ....

anyway the story is that now i need to buy an espresso machine for a very low traffic place , it is a small restaurant , i will be selling coffee , mainly cappuccinos , shots and other cold brew drinks .

as a beginner i was thinking about this machine "the breville oracle espresso machine" , i read reviews about it and videos etcc.....

BUT MY FIRST OPTION was going to buy WAS the Appia II nuova simonelli group 1 Volumetric , .... i know it needs installation and filters and also i will need a grinder ..... anyway

i need some suggestions , please help , i know that with the oracle i will save $$$ alot CUZ HAS THE GRINDER INCLUDED

so i have some questions:

- how about the deal with the single shot and double shot on the Oracle breville ? is a big deal ?
and the steam wand is it that terrible as i read in some reviews?

thank guys i hope i can finally take a decision !!! :) i will appreciate your help alot :D
@andrea_grassi_art

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Abeli wrote:...i need to buy an espresso machine for a small restaurant...
You may want to check with your local health code inspector. They may require NSF-certified equipment, which would eliminate consumer-grade espresso machines. A popular NSF-certified espresso machine for low volume is the La Spaziale Vivaldi. Easy to use, double boiler, fast steamer, and still luggable for catering. Mike Zhu, owner of New World Cafe, has it for that and as a backup.
Dan Kehn

russel

#3: Post by russel »

If you have a local coffee roaster, you should ask them how they can help you set up your coffee program as a wholesale account. You might even expand your inquiry to regional roasters. There really isn't any reason to go it alone when setting up a supplementary coffee program. A good roaster can help you out with equipment (advice, loaners, or discounted) as well as training and code compliance.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com
★ Helpful

Capac

#4: Post by Capac »

Isn't NS oscar 2 NSF certified?

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Yes, it is according to Chris' Coffee Service ("UL and NSF Approved"). That said, for a low-frequency establishment, I would recommend a double boiler simply because they're easier to use for inexperienced baristas.
Dan Kehn

Abeli (original poster)

#6: Post by Abeli (original poster) »

Hi thanks for the answers ... i did not know that need to be NSF certified ... this is a mexican restaurant so the main business isnt coffee, still need be certified?
@andrea_grassi_art

russel

#7: Post by russel »

In most situations it is because you have a kitchen that any machine in it will have to be NSF certified...but this is a code compliance issue that you should take up with a professional, either a roaster or a local coffee consultant.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Abeli (original poster)

#8: Post by Abeli (original poster) »

Hi everyone

Re: Nuova Simonelli Musica Vs Rancilio Class 5 ST

I would like to know if someone has any experience using this machines and which are your thoughts after using them ,
which are their main differences? is the boiler size something of a big deal?

i am choosing a machine for a small cafe restaurant ( very small 20 cups a day )

thanks !:)
@andrea_grassi_art