Batch Brew vs. Pour Over Advice

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by LBIespresso »

I mostly drink espresso or americanos with the occasional Aeropress. I have been thinking about the V60 vs the Chemex and then I think why not Technivorm or Ratio 8. I like the latter 2 for brewing without doing the brewing myself. I think once in a while that might be nice. Then I think it would be a good thing to learn the skill of V60 (easier?) or Chemex (harder?). SO...What do you guys think? If it helps, no milk or sugar for me.

Drip or Pour Over? And which method? I have read so much on HB that my head is spinning. I understand the difference between all of the options (thanks to HB) but would like to hear the opinions and preferences of those with experience.
LMWDP #580

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

The simplest manual pourover recipe I have come across is George Howell's Chemex recipe:

http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/brew- ... p-for-two/

It makes a good, sweet cup. It's a classic brewer. You can even get hand-blown glass versions, if you're feeling fancy.

I use my Kalita Wave and Technivorm Cup-One more often than my Chemex or V60, but that is largely a function of target brew volume.

Advertisement
LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) replying to Eastsideloco »

Thanks David.

I am attracted to the looks of the Chemex v V60 or Ratio 8 v Technivorm for sure.

Just curious as to why you prefer the Wave to the V60?
LMWDP #580

happycat

#4: Post by happycat replying to LBIespresso »

I'm rudely butting in...

The kalita wave is notably sweeeeeeet in its output. I love my stainless 185.

I am also a big fan of ceramics (cillio, bonavita immersion) based on the coffee roasts I do I guess it works well.

Your coffee choices and roasts may relate to your choice of brewer.

When I've had chemex at a cafe it's been quite gentle and clear.
LMWDP #603

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Outside of espresso, I use my Bonavita drip brewer for multi cups such as a party or need fast cup for wife and I. Bonavita ceramic immersion adjustable brewer for single cup and the Chemex for after dinner when entertaining another couple (as it fascinates most people).
All make a nice cup of coffee once the parameters are correct.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

redbone wrote:...All make a nice cup of coffee once the parameters are correct.
I guess that's what is tripping me up. I KNOW I can learn to make a great cup with all of the options. I have read about the differences in output and effort as well as counter appeal. Yet I still can't seem to decide. Maybe I should just skip it and buy a roaster instead :lol:

I do appreciate hearing opinions from people here. You all seem like a serious bunch when it comes to coffee and I have learned so much here in the past 11 months. And that is the point for me. I have enjoyed learning how to make espresso well and want to keep learning more about that and other forms of coffee brewing and roasting some day too.

So I see we have some votes for the Wave...I'll continue to listen and thanks to all of take the time to opine!
LMWDP #580

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

Almost comes down to your filtration preference. The chemex has the finest filter and imparts a very clean lower body cup, french press would impart a heavier body but can be too heavy for some, while drip and pour over with regular paper filters are in the middle. Just to add another parameter some coffee origins highlight with specific brew methods vs others. Brew method may come down to taste preference and procedure comfort.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
russel

#8: Post by russel »

I would vote for the Wave. I tend to balk at the cost of Chemex filters, I don't fell like the Kone is really comparable, and the V60 demands too much skill and experience to recommend for infrequent use. Normally I'm not one to place cost above getting my desired cup, but anything that holds you back from refining that third or forth cup is a non-trivial drawback. The Wave will give you a helping hand with consistency exactly when you need it.

I also the December Dripper because the adjustable flow let's me brew in a larger variety of ways.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com
★ Helpful

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I have and love my Behmor Brazen, but only use it now when company is over. During the week I brew in the Bobble Presse brew mug, otherwise it's a December Dripper, Chemex 3 Cup, or Kalita Wave.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ❤

#10: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

redbone wrote:Almost comes down to your filtration preference. The chemex has the finest filter and imparts a very clean lower body cup, french press would impart a heavier body but can be too heavy for some, while drip and pour over with regular paper filters are in the middle. Just to add another parameter some coffee origins highlight with specific brew methods vs others. Brew method may come down to taste preference comfort.
I think I kind of knew this but you helped make it very clear for me. Thanks!

Now I am leaning towards Wave/V60 over Chemex, but still considering just going with the Technivorm/Ratio 8.
LMWDP #580