Kinu M68 - Available for pre-order - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#11: Post by redbone »

Not to divert the thread here but for many a manual grinders claim to fame vs a similar electric grinder was threefold, the ability to get into large conical burr grinder family at a lower cost, low grind retention and the small footprint. I only mention this because I read here how much easier the M68 is to grind vs the Pharos as a selling point. What's even easier, faster and less frustrating is a motor assisted grinder.

With the introduction of the soon to be delivered electric Niche Zero grinder with 63mm conical burrs, low retention, lower cost and similar footprint of the M68, the purchase validation of a large expensive manual grinder becomes moot. Some may argue the beauty of a fully mechanical grinder and some may contend the ability to grind without electricity but I doubt the M68 would be considered a portable grinder based on its size and mass. Curious to the purchase rationalization of an expensive manual (main) grinder vs similar electric grinders either in the market or soon to be.

After all not an over diversion, as it does involve the M68.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Stanic

#12: Post by Stanic »

redbone wrote:Not to divert the thread here but...
but well done

maxbmello

#13: Post by maxbmello »

I think some people (myself included) actually LIKE to grind by hand. It becomes part of the ritual, you can feel the beans as they are ground and can get a sense of how they were roasted, how dense they are, etc. The way this grinder is constructed makes it an heirloom product that can be passed down for generations, never worrying about the motor burning out or finding replacement parts (maybe the gears or burrs many years down the line?)

Some people don't get the idea of a lever, and say why would you manually extract espresso when a pump will do it for the same cost or cheaper?

I'm glad to see the market for high quality large burr grinders is growing, and think there's plenty of market space for grinders like the niche as well as the m68.
★ Helpful

ProCyclist

#14: Post by ProCyclist replying to maxbmello »

Ok so the thread is now Hi-Jacked to a Manual Vs. Electric grinding thread..... so i proceed with that disclaimer
I agree MaxBMello
IMO: I think more sensitivity in the process will ultimately yield a better espresso over time. I think the learning curve may be steeper since their are more variables not held constant.....at first in comparison to the electrical grinder. Maintenance of the machine, alignment, and drift from all the components wearing, eventually the home barista would need to understand the internals of what are the variables driving the taste in the cup. If the grinder can indicate when beans are beginning to age, I think it is an indicator that the manual grinder has over the electrical grinder. If the speeds can be lower, meaning lower heat - this is significant advantage of Hand grinding as i have read. I ponder these things . . .

I am interested in the M68 for sure - back to topic

themusgrat

#15: Post by themusgrat »

I have not used the M68, but from what I've read, there shouldn't be too many sub-$1000 electric grinders that can compete with its consistency. I'm getting an M47 when they are back in stock though, because I do think that 1k is a bit much for a manual grinder... Maybe the nearest electric grinder is at 2k, but it is still a ton of money.

That said, almost anything is justifiable to someone, that someone may just not be you or I. A lot of people think it's ridiculous to spend any money at all on coffee at home, why not get starbucks?

Anyways, very interested in the impressions of the M68. I'd love to see someone compare it against a Monolith Flat.

randyh

#16: Post by randyh »

The Helor Flux should be a contender in the large conical manual grinder market and could given the M68 a run for its money. Appears to have same all stainless quality construction as well as gear reduction and tight tolerances. I like the fact that it is still a handheld grinder rather than tabletop. Although the M68 has a small footprint, you need a large countertop area to account for space needed for your body and arms to rotate the handle. with the handheld grinders you just pick it up and move yourself to a space in the kitchen where you can freely and happily grind away. I think I more than spent my allotted grinder funds on my Monolith Flat, but if I was still in the market I'd be looking hard at the Helor Flux.

ProCyclist

#17: Post by ProCyclist replying to randyh »

I have been reading up on the Helor Flux. IMO - It looks really well machined, the design i was not so keen on. The wood knob handle that makes a bird whistle instead of bearings had me turned off on the whole thing. I do like that it slightly more portable than the M68 given its a hand grinder but it may be close to 5 pounds which boarders on the 8 pounds for the m68. The m47 is pretty stout and engineered very well with a bearing in the handle ( no bird whistle) at 2 pounds and it easily is more precise with fine adjustment to my Compak K3 Touch which is 58mm Flat Burr 175w grinder.

ProCyclist

#18: Post by ProCyclist »

themusgrat wrote:I have not used the M68, but from what I've read, there shouldn't be too many sub-$1000 electric grinders that can compete with its consistency. I'm getting an M47 when they are back in stock though, because I do think that 1k is a bit much for a manual grinder... Maybe the nearest electric grinder is at 2k, but it is still a ton of money.

That said, almost anything is justifiable to someone, that someone may just not be you or I. A lot of people think it's ridiculous to spend any money at all on coffee at home, why not get starbucks?

Anyways, very interested in the impressions of the M68. I'd love to see someone compare it against a Monolith Flat.
M68 vs ML Flat - I too would love to see it. I would also like to see M47 vs ML Flat. Conical vs Flat burr may not be apples to apples though. Maybe ML Conical vs M47 or M68. M47 does beat my Compak K3 Touch electric grinder(650$ Retail) in precise / repeatable grind settings.

radu

#19: Post by radu »

The difference between the two should be a flat vs conical difference. I'm actually planning to get a ML Flat or a Mythos One, but I think it'll happen in about 6 months time. It'll be some time until I get a chance to compare.

I've found no difference between the Compak E5 (900-1000$) and the M47. The M68 produces noticeably better tasting shots than the M47 (which is not bad at all itself). I don't think you need a lot of countertop space for it, but it's definitely larger than the zero-space M47. It is pretty fast to use. It takes about 40 turns for 20 grams of coffee.

Here's a fun video with the M68. I'll post some photos in a couple of days when I get back to my working laptop.
LMWDP #616

lucasd

#20: Post by lucasd »

M47 is only little bigger than classic M38, so by name it should be M40 or maybe M42. Lido I think have something similar burr size.
The same goes for Kony M63 (Niche) because it has also thicker outer burr (would call M50-55).
M68 is true giant. And there is even bigger Robur, but the say it does not make much difference to classic Robur (about M68).