Cheapest "God" shot

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mjoets

#1: Post by mjoets »

I have been wondering, if you set aside ergonomics but focus on the "in the cup quality" what combination would deliver professional barista results at the lowest cost? Would the Flair Espresso Maker and the Pharos grinder combination qualify?

malling

#2: Post by malling »

Everything from a Silvia to a Slayer can deliver great tasting shots, the grinder is vastly more important and which grinder is best really depends on taste preferences, bean and roast.

For example I prefer very light roasted coffee, I prefer it to be extracted evenly, with high extraction yield, high clarity and pronounced notes. For that I prefer a grinder in the EK caliber nothing else or less will do, a conical grinder would never satisfy my need or be able to get me there and would usually get a machine that can deliver consistent results and be temp stable.

Others like the ristretto style, darker roasts for that conicals seem to do very well. Other like the taste profile of levers etc.

This is just to underline that the right equipment very much depend on the individual person.

Therefore the cheapest possible equipment really depend of your criteria, for me the cheapest is the EK I cant get what it deliver for less, it simply doesn't exist

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

mjoets wrote:I have been wondering, if you set aside ergonomics but focus on the "in the cup quality" what combination would deliver professional barista results at the lowest cost? Would the Flair Espresso Maker and the the Pharos grinder combination qualify?
I think a setup the user wants to use regularly and can easily adjust and set optimally is the way to go.

If Pharos is a pain for your hands, it doesn't qualify. If flair requires too much fiddling to preheat and isn't consistent for you then it doesn't qualify.

personally, shifting from a Pharos to Sette made a big difference for me because i was more likely to do more shots and improve technique given the lighter roasts I have.

Same with the espresso machine. Personally, modifying my Gaggia Classic with a PID and automated preinfusion and flush function makes it more likely for me to use it regularly and keep it flushed out and not clogged up in its 3 way valve.

I think god shots depend on people, and people depend on a system that works synergistically with them.

I'm not the kind of person who turns making a drink into a professional Olympic training exercise with hours of practice.

For others, that kind of approach is some form of OCD they want to engage in.
LMWDP #603

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

The learning curve maybe steep but once learned the process flows like a magic trick.

Your optimal shot can be achieved but it's a learned process requiring effort, failure, and time. Akin to someone who creates something or performs a process effortlessly making it look easy. Early seemingly pathogenic exercises maybe required.

There's a misconception that is brewing that more money necessarily means better cup results. More money can reduce some of the effort required. A knowledgeable barista with less espensive hardware will produce a better cup than one with more expensive hardware without experience. Interesting that a good pump machine mimics a lever machine. Pump machines take much longer to heat up vs levers. Their big advantage is number of consecutive shots as long as the pump machine is plumbed in has a three way solinoid valve. For me a 2x double shot per session user, a good self heated lever machine is hard to beat.

I feel H-B is a brotherhood (including women) for those who want more than just the convenience of a push button ok coffee. Sort of anti mass media marketing whereby the saving of effort and time is justified by a satisfactory end result. For me there is an air to a bygone time and homage to an old world. Also for those who want to delve further coaxing the best out of what they have.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549
★ Helpful

mjoets (original poster)

#5: Post by mjoets (original poster) »

Don't read this post if you don't like inane comments:

That is great feedback. I particularly like the part where it all comes together as a flow. However I guess my question is not fully answered. Supposing this were some sort of reality show "Barista Survivor" and recruited "Another Jim" (he is going to hate me for this, but I really admire his sensibilities) to be the judge. The judge has to be satisfied that the winning shot comes up to competition standards to qualify. The contestants may choose any equipment available on the market. The winner will be the one to employ the least expensive equipment available to do the job. What could that be? And yes they have the choice of any power or water source but the beans are all the same high altitude African medium dark roast. What might the setup be?

I guess it harkens back to my youth when we debated "Who would win, Batman or Superman"

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

In the hands of a competent person, a $200 used vintage home lever machine and hand grinder (affordable box grinders, $150 Knock/OE grinders, etc) will deliver.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/
★ Helpful

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

+1 with Tom, and
mjoets wrote:Would the Flair Espresso Maker and the Pharos grinder combination qualify?
Yes. And it's very easy to achieve consistency with each of those.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Spitz.me

#8: Post by Spitz.me »

I personally can't wait for my Cafelat Robot! That's a fairly cheap alternative.

I agree with Gary and Tom. Capable and relatively cheap tools. But you'll have to put in a lot of effort.
LMWDP #670

beta14ok

#9: Post by beta14ok »

Prolly that Rocket Cellini and the CompaK K10 that are in the Buy/Sell forum.

I don't know anything about the sellers and I don't rep for any of that stuff, but it seems like the price points a REAL friendly....just sayin'.

mjoets (original poster)

#10: Post by mjoets (original poster) »

TomC wrote:In the hands of a competent person, a $200 used vintage home lever machine and hand grinder (affordable box grinders, $150 Knock/OE grinders, etc) will deliver.
Thank you very much for your feedback.