Best bottled water for espresso machine

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
charles.park94

#1: Post by charles.park94 »

I'm pretty new to the scene (just received an espresso machine as a gift) and I saw a few threads that were on the topic but couldn't seem to find the answer. If I'm currently residing in the greater Seattle area, is there any recommendations for bottled water brands? I know La Marzocco recommends Crystal Geyser or Acqua Panna but I've also seen in the threads that some people mentioned the plant matters as well. Is there any recommendations?

And for the locals, preferably something I can easily access in Kirkland?

Thank you

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Try a few on the softer side, just make sure that TDS levels are no more than 150ppm.
You can always mix harder water with either R.O. or distilled to lower the total TDS .
Adjust by 20ppm at a time and go with what you prefer taste wise.

* What grinder are you using with your new machine ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

charles.park94 (original poster)

#3: Post by charles.park94 (original poster) »

redbone wrote:Try a few on the softer side, just make sure that TDS levels are no more than 150ppm.
You can always mix harder water with either R.O. or distilled to lower the total TDS .
Adjust by 20ppm at a time and go with what you prefer taste wise.
Thanks. Are there any brands that I should consider starting with?
* What grinder are you using with your new machine ?
I've been trying to find a monolith or eg1 but haven't been successful just yet

#4: Post by charles.park94 (original poster) »

I've been browsing the used market scene. Are there any other recommendations for single dosing? Price isn't the biggest issue, per say.

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Water brands vary geographically. I would look at your local stores for what's available near you.

Very low retention single dosing electric grinders are harder to come by vs hand grinders. The Monolith is a good choice according to feedback here but there is a waiting list as these are made by a small bespoke company. Some positive feedback on the Ceado E37S recently. Questionable reliability on the Sette grinders, but positive feedback on grind quality. Also a few new grinders coming out. Kafatek MAX flat, Niche Zero conical grinders and Ceado E37Z-Hero.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

charles.park94 wrote: If I'm currently residing in the greater Seattle area, is there any recommendations for bottled water brands? I know La Marzocco recommends Crystal Geyser or Acqua Panna but I've also seen in the threads that some people mentioned the plant matters as well. Is there any recommendations?
Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring Water varies radically from one bottling plant to another, with some being unsuitable. Check the source of the Crystal Geyser bottles available in your store. The Olancha Peak, CA source has reasonable hardness and alkalinity and nice low chloride, so that would be good. The Weed (Mt Shasta) water is also good, but is a softer water, (29 - 37 mg/L total hardness as CaCO3) which is similar to what you'd get from charcoal filtered Seattle tap water.

To see all CG water numbers in one handy chart:

(Table courtesy of Eric Svendson (erics))

I know La Marzocco sometimes recommends Acqua Panna, but it is a little hard, might cause a some scale buildup in your machine. (See Volvic or Acqua Panna with La Marzocco GS3? )

Most Seattle area tap waters run on the soft side (~~ 25 mg/L total hardness) but should be non-scaling and non-corrosive, and make tasty coffee if you charcoal filter it.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h
★ Helpful

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by jwCrema »

Eric's chart is the quintessential reference in my view. The only thing I'd add is if you're going to use Crystal Geyser Weed, the label doesn't say that in big words. It will say "CG Roxanne" very obviously on the label.

This is the water I use.

homeburrero
Team HB

#8: Post by homeburrero »

jwCrema wrote:if you're going to use Crystal Geyser Weed, the label doesn't say that in big words. It will say "CG Roxanne" very obviously on the label.
I think they all say "By CG Roxane" on the label. To check the source you may need to get out your reading glasses.

The full analyses are available using the links in this FAQ: https://www.crystalgeyserplease.com/faqs/
I agree, Eric's chart showing them all together in one table alongside the SCAA numbers is great.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

nrh

#9: Post by nrh »

This is what you want to look for...

Nick H.

#10: Post by charles.park94 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone, I'll check the groceries nearby to see what kind of Crystal Geyser they have