Baratza Sette 270 - Grinds too fine and slow

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jrace

#1: Post by jrace »

Hello,

I seem to have the opposite problem that most Sette 270 owners have...my grind is too fine....and the speed is slow.

My espresso machine is an older (2010-2013) Nuova Simonelli Oscar.
Beans are freshly roasted med dark (roasted < 5days ago).

I just received the Sette 270 and have run about 1/2 - 1 LB through it.
I originally started at the 7e and the Oscar choked.
It took the Sette 40 sec to grind 18grams of coffee at 7e.

The Oscar choked at 10e, 14e, and 18e - all done with minimal tamping pressure.

Only at 21e could I get a 1oz shot at around 30sec - and I had to tamp with very little pressure.
Time to grind 18grams at 21e was around 11 sec.

My previous grinder is a Baratza Virtouso which went set at the finest (with the same coffee) was not fine enough, producing 1oz shots in 15sec - with the hardest tamp I could muster.

I took the grinder apart and it had one shim already installed, and 2 in the parts bag.

Any ideas why this would be with others report using a setting of 7 or less?

jrace (original poster)

#2: Post by jrace (original poster) »

I checked and the grinder had one shim installed by the factory.
Removal of the shim resulted in being able to grind at 17e, any thing lower and it choked.

The good news....that was one of the best cups I have ever made!

ben8jam

#3: Post by ben8jam »

Those are still pretty fresh beans. I usually wait at least a week. But that aside something doesn't sound right. I added the second shim and grind at 5e - about 19-21g into triple- in under 10 seconds. Might want to contact Baratza.

I did probably grind 3 pounds before I saw some constancy too.

jshaft37

#4: Post by jshaft37 »

17 of 31 still leaves plenty of room for adjustment. I wouldn't worry about it for espresso.

jrace (original poster)

#5: Post by jrace (original poster) »

Thanks for the comments.

I received a response from Baratza:
What you're experiencing is definitely a bit unique for us. We did initially have a single shim installed in the burrs, as we were finding that most users ended up having to install one anyway. We did recently make some modifications to the gearbox to improve reliability towards the end of 2017, and that had an unintended side-effect of decreasing the burr spacing, generally obviating the need for the shim, but our production hasn't quite caught up with that change.

All that said, though, we've been finding good espresso grind on the Sette at about 15, not 21, so I'm not exactly sure why yours is requiring such a high dial-in setting. That being said, you're still well within the seasoning period, so there's a good chance this will change over the next pound or two of coffee
I have now run close to 2Lbs through and now run kit at 16e (with no shims installed) and 18g grinds at 9seconds.

So far it is making excellent espresso so I am not concerned...just wondered why my experiences were opposite from all other users.

cyclecat

#6: Post by cyclecat »

Oh my goodness, thank you for posting this! I had already boxed up my Sette 270 and was going to just stick with my refurbished Encore. I burned through half a pound of really good coffee trying to find a setting that wouldn't choke my machine, being too afraid to make macro adjustments based on the setting recommendation. I started at the recommended 9E and only got it up as far as 11E before I gave up and pulled a pretty good shot using my Encore.
I'm now encouraged to try again and make a bigger setting adjustment.

JayBeck

#7: Post by JayBeck »

Clearly the machines were redesigned. I grind between 4-8 and I have 3 shims installed. Yes, 3. Early 2017 model.

cyclecat

#8: Post by cyclecat »

Haven't even checked to see if there's a shim in there. Got a decent shot at 15C setting but will continue to tweak it. The machine is practically new. Clearly there have been 'improvements,' or at the very least redesigns. The huge spectrum of settings among users certainly bears that out! I'm now rethinking returning it, although QC issues others have reported continue to give me pause. Hoping for more reports.

happycat

#9: Post by happycat »

I like my Sette but only had it a few weeks. 5a for shots underdosing 16.3g in 18g VST... not quite 6 secs I think.

When I got it the grinding didn't work... nothing when I pressed a button. I removed and replaced the burr set and it was fine.
LMWDP #603

cyclecat

#10: Post by cyclecat »

Okay, Sette 270 owners out there, I'd love if everybody started posting your grind settings and times, and if you care to, how long you've had your Sette. I'm still on the fence about this machine and I only have a month to make up my mind! I understand slight variables between discrete machines but with doses all over the board, times all over the board, and zero to three (!) shims installed, as I said earlier it gives me pause. Baratza's reply to the poster above was not terribly reassuring either.
Also, I realize we all have different machines, but I'd like to assume for the purposes of this very unscientific survey that we all have decent espresso machines andthat a good shot of espresso is what we are trying to achieve!