Cleaning the Kafatek Monolith Conical

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mrbiglzwerth

#1: Post by Mrbiglzwerth »

How often do y'all clean the Monolith? I know it depends on throughput and bean roast so please mention that. I go through about 36oz of medium roast coffee/month and I just cleaned it after a couple months. What a difference!

As a side note, this grinder is such a pleasure to clean! I really need to do it more often.

marlodmb

#2: Post by marlodmb »

What is the difference that you are noticing?

Advertisement
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

Mrbiglzwerth wrote:How often do y'all clean the Monolith? I know it depends on throughput and bean roast so please mention that. I go through about 36oz of medium roast coffee/month and I just cleaned it after a couple months. What a difference!

As a side note, this grinder is such a pleasure to clean! I really need to do it more often.
Every three months. It never needs it, but I use only light roasts.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by samuellaw178 »

Want to put this out there just so no one repeats the same mistake I did....

If you're cleaning the grinder thoroughly (especially when removing the burrs for cleaning), be careful with the inner burr and shaft assembly. Make sure they are specklessly clean on assembly. On mine the inner burr and shaft have a very tight fit so any dust could mean a binding shaft. You don't want that to happen as it can be an involved process to undo.

Denis also recommends not to remove the inner and outer burrs for periodic cleaning.

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE »

I clean mine by running clean beans through it! :D

Tried taking it apart before but it was a waste of time.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

BaristaBob

#6: Post by BaristaBob »

samuellaw178 wrote:Want to put this out there just so no one repeats the same mistake I did....

If you're cleaning the grinder thoroughly (especially when removing the burrs for cleaning), be careful with the inner burr and shaft assembly. Make sure they are specklessly clean on assembly. On mine the inner burr and shaft have a very tight fit so any dust could mean a binding shaft. You don't want that to happen as it can be an involved process to undo.

Denis also recommends not to remove the inner and outer burrs for periodic cleaning.
Not sure I understand this...are you saying the grinder burrs should never be removed? Should it have something like Grindz put through it monthly or bimonthly instead of taking it apart?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 replying to BaristaBob »

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant there is no need to remove the burrs from its carrier or shaft. You can still lift up the top plate and clean (brush) with the burrs in-situ.

Advertisement
nuketopia

#8: Post by nuketopia »

Very easy to clean following the instructions from Denis. Just loosen the back screws, take the two out of the top plate and lift it off. I clean it out with a toothbrush and vacuum cleaner every couple of months. Not much in it, doesn't take long.

Coachiain

#9: Post by Coachiain »

Well, the last time I cleaned my MC was after a full YEAR of nearly daily use. There really wasn't much there.
Although this might not sound appealing to some, I dont see the need to take the top plate off to clean a MC unless you drink mostly oily beans.

Daily use is the best cleaning for this grinder. Thumbs up to Denis.

FYI, I pull 5~7 14~17g shots weekly and I hand-puff and brush clean it every time.

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob »

Iain, thanks for the great pics. That's amazing. Do you use mostly light or medium roast?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"