Servicing Marcfi Grazziella

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ehowarduk

#1: Post by ehowarduk »

Hey everyone, I am new here and quite new to coffee machines.

I don't know why but the second I saw a lever machine I thought it was amazing!

The first I saw was the Gaggia Mini and the la pavoni.

Then I was lucky enough to come across a Marcfi Picola / Grazziella.

The bottom is rusted so I am going to probably take it apart, get rid of the rust and repaint it.

At the moment it is leaking from the leaver and inside the portafilter.

Do I need any special rubber seals for this or are they standard and easy to get hold of?

Will post pics later.

Thanks!

Elliot

ehowarduk (original poster)

#2: Post by ehowarduk (original poster) »

Anyone know how to open the group set?

grog

#3: Post by grog »

Elliot, congrats on the acquisition. These are great machines. The group has a brass sleeve insert, which makes it very temp stable - but it is a bit more complicated to work on the group. You will have to unscrew the sleeve first, which either requires a special tool (http://www.orphanespresso.com/Steel-Fla ... _4585.html) or you can try to tap it out with a punch that fits one of the sleeve holes, and a hammer/mallet.

One nice feature of these is that the group is removable from the boiler, so it's easier to work on the sleeve removal. Some brass sleeve machines don't have easily removable groups and are much more challenging to work on.

The base on these is interesting. If you have one that is a plastic coating over metal, and the metal inside is rusted, you will have to source a new base. I had one like that and once the interior material is rusted, it's a lost cause. It becomes soft and mushy and you just have to hope you can find a replacement base somewhere, since these are long out of production.

Here's some helpful info: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faida ... la_eng.htm
LMWDP #514

#4: Post by ehowarduk (original poster) »

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yes the base is rusted and coated in plastic which is coming off.

I have spoken to a friend of mine and he said he might be able to save the base so fingers crossed I won't have to source one.

Going to buy the seals kit and do a complete rebuild.

Was luckily I think, paid 25€ for it and it was working, just leaking a bit by the lever which then leaks through the whole head.

The lever for the steamer is a little bent unfortunately.

Thanks!

Elliot

florenz

#5: Post by florenz »

Hi,
great Deal! I restored mine last year. To unscrew the brass sleeve, try soaking it in penetrating-oil for 24h. And better use the special tool, otherwise the risk of damaging the machine is high. Mine was leaking near the lever too. Get the seals from Francesco Ceccarelli, He was very helpful. I made some photos during the restoration - if you need help...
Good luck!
Greetings from the black forest
Frank
LMWDP#573

grog

#6: Post by grog »

Leaking near the lever indicates the piston rod seal needs placing. If you're in there, you may as well replace the piston seals and group gasket too.
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Keep in mind that if you use penetrating oil in the brew path, it will take lots and lots of cleaning to get that fully out. Sometimes people just use water and perhaps application of heat to the group. Then, just patience with the right tools and the group properly held in a vise with protection from it getting scratched, and enough leverage with your tool, should be sufficient.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

grog

#8: Post by grog »

+1 to Gary's comments. Also, definitely try to unscrew the sleeve just using tools first. I've often found that you can get most things like group sleeves, boiler retaining rings, and the like removed without having to resort to things like pentrating oil, heat guns, etc.

Often with a very stubborn work piece, patience and the correct tool is the best approach. I had a Faemina with a seemingly very-stuck nut on the piston, but as soon as I got the correct sized spanner, it came right off.
LMWDP #514

#9: Post by ehowarduk (original poster) »

Wow thanks everyone!!!

Frank, you have exactly the same one as me! Did you have to do any work to the base?

I am planning to change all the seals, would be silly not to!

Thanks again, going to order the seals kit!

I have started taking it apart but haven't got into the group set yet.

Will keep you all posted!

florenz

#10: Post by florenz »

I think my base was repainted before. I only did some cleaning, descaling and changed all seals. The brass sleeve could only be removed with a special tool, the hammer & nail technique did not work.
I got a new rubber base from Francesco but had to make myself a drip-tray - which is far from beautiful...
Greetings from the black forest
Frank
LMWDP#573