Versalab M3: not a pleasant whirring sound - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thirdshifter (original poster)

#11: Post by thirdshifter (original poster) »

(sorry for the background noise but you can still hear the click)

It seems that the metallic chirping is being caused by an interaction between the two wiper assemblies. When the moving wiper passes the static wiper you hear a click. It's possible the top of the moving wiper is barely nicking part of the cutout for the static wiper screwhead and not the wiper itself -- that is the top of the moving wiper may indeed be hitting the bottom of the upper funnel, just right where the static wiper screwhead cutout is, where perhaps the surface is irregular or raised slightly at the edge of the cutout? But I can't tell, maybe the wipers are just hitting a tiny bit.

VL sez they run each grinder before shipping but must not have run fine enough to catch this problem. They say they will get it taken care of. I've just sent them the above video and will await their response.

#12: Post by thirdshifter (original poster) »

OK so I installed a new moving wiper per VL (I had ordered a spare wiper new with the grinder). This has made the problem worse as now the metallic shrieking appears even at coarser settings. Oddly, with the new wiper the clicking isn't as noticeable when I run the pulley by hand but the harsh noise is just as bad/worse with the grinder running.

I took a close-up picture where you can see the moving wiper has indeed scraped against the bottom of the TOP funnel. When the top of the moving wiper hits the gap for the static wiper, it then makes contact with either the static wiper screwhead or the other side of the static wiper gap and makes the ping noise. Also I'm pretty sure that screw for the static wiper shouldn't be sticking up that much, but I'm not sure that is the only problem because I believe the wiper would make a noise when it hit the other side of the static wiper gap anyway...

I've requested either a brand new M3 or a full refund. I'll let you know what I hear back from VL.

AssafL

#13: Post by AssafL »

FWIW, I've seen that rarely happen when reassembling the rotating carrier (the screw in the center). Sometimes rotating the wiper 1/4 or a 1/3 turn is enough to make the gap a bit more even and squeaking go away. But I wouldn't loosen the screw as it is very easy to lose alignment.

Over time one learns to live with the realization that the larger the flat burrs the more finicky it is to align. High precision is finicky.

I am so happy I am not an espresso machine (or grinder) vendor...
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

#14: Post by thirdshifter (original poster) »

Thanks Assafl! When you say you wouldn't loosen the screw do you mean that you wouldn't leave the screw loose?? Because indeed loosening and taking off that bottom screw is necessary to replace the moving wiper, which I just did. Then I tightened that screw back up into the rotating burr assembly. I was told by VL that the above would have no bearing on grinder alignment.

I'm glad I'm not an espresso machine manufacturer either, but in this case the problem would have been solved if VL had simply turned the grinder to 1/4 from zero (like it sez is the first step in the instructions) and turned it on. I'm sure they would have been able to quickly diagnose and fix, whereas all this takes me forever since I don't know the grinder and am worried about hurting something / going out of alignment.

AssafL

#15: Post by AssafL »

thirdshifter wrote:Thanks Assafl! When you say you wouldn't loosen the screw do you mean that you wouldn't leave the screw loose?? Because indeed loosening and taking off that bottom screw is necessary to replace the moving wiper, which I just did. Then I tightened that screw back up into the rotating burr assembly. I was told by VL that the above would have no bearing on grinder alignment.
Well, I wouldn't remove it. It doesn't have to ruin alignment - but if you opened it when coffee grinds were around and one found its way between the burr carrier and the spindle... Or sometimes if the burr carrier rotated it may squeal more.

It is a rather simple device so hurting it is unlikely. I hacked mine to bits and it is as robust as when I first received it. I replaced the belt and motor driver and automated it. I had to realign mine after (foolishly and unnecessarily) replacing the burrs.

I think many of us grind finer today than we did before. That means some of the manufacturing tests may need revisiting (not just for VL - even the EK43 sometimes needs realignement from the factory). VL is an old design which probably would have benefitted from a revisit.

Then again - nothing out there seems to be that mush better in the cup where it matters. I still await the replacement grinder!

#16: Post by thirdshifter (original poster) »

Well, I wouldn't remove it.
Huh?? Again, removing the screw (not just loosening) is necessary to change the moving wiper, which I just did (per VL). Removing the screw would've been necessary to take the moving wiper off and file it down (per Frank). So I guess I'm not sure what you mean by suggesting that you wouldn't have done so.....
I think many of us grind finer today than we did before.
Maybe, but that's unrelated here as I don't think anybody was enjoying 18.5 gram-in gushers back in the day. And my shrieking noise is noticeable at 1/4 turn, which isn't super-fine and is suggested as a starting point in the manual probably written in 2005.

Regardless I'm not keeping this M3 and will either get a replacement or refund.

AssafL

#17: Post by AssafL »

I disassembled my grinder entirely (burrs from carriers, the whole thing) and ended up having bad coffee until Nick and Frank helped me realign my grinder. That is why I recommend to never loosen any screw. It doesn't mean loosening the screw causes alignment issue. It just requires care and a modicum of luck.

I have no vested interest in the company. I just like the grinder. I think they should have improved their design but it is their choice. VL has been the enfant terrible of the community ever since they pissed off (stupidly!) a very respected member of the community (it took me quite a while to make up my mind about them specifically due to this). It is a quirky grinder that is not for everyone.

To keep or not to keep is your decision (and not one I am entitled - nor care - to have an opinion on - it is your money and their design). The current poster child of grinding epitomy is Dennis' Monoliths - seems like the obvious and safest decision!

That said I like my VL very much and intend to keep it until something better comes along. One day it may...

#18: Post by thirdshifter (original poster) »

Copy that, I hear you AssafL. I followed all the drama here and have wanted one of these quirky grinders for 10 years or so, even after reading the mixed reviews. Oddly enough, getting a look at the grinder and exactly how it works makes me want a (quieter one) even more, despite the problems in QC that led them to send me such a squeaky grinder. I realize I will deal with issues down the road and will need to disassemble, etc -- I just don't want to do that from the start. I think VL is sending me a new VL -- if it's quiet enough and well aligned from the start I'll be happy.

Given the new price of the VL ($2870 w/ portafilter holder) the Monoliths seem like a steal. And indeed I'd have gone that route but didn't want to wait 6 months to get my grinder (VL lead time is 1 week). There's definitely just something about the Versalab....

#19: Post by thirdshifter (original poster) »

Looks like I'm gonna order a Monolith when pre-orders are up again!...[EDITED to ADD: I'm working it out with Versalab, who will fix my grinder this week. I was unrealistic to expect a new grinder. If it comes back to me quiet and well-aligned I'll be a happy camper.]

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by samuellaw178 »

thirdshifter wrote:Given the new price of the VL ($2870 w/ portafilter holder) the Monoliths seem like a steal. And indeed I'd have gone that route but didn't want to wait 6 months to get my grinder (VL lead time is 1 week). There's definitely just something about the Versalab....
Looks like I'm gonna order a Monolith when pre-orders are up again!
:lol: Actually, I have been wanting to comment why don't you order a Monolith instead (the wait makes sense). After having used the two (Versalab with toothed belt upgrade, versus Monolith Conical), I wondered why would anyone order a Versalab, especially when buying new! The Monolith is 10x better in every way, unless you really need that Versalab volumetric dosing (a couple hundred $$ more).