Just picked up my own Mini Gaggia

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
masoncw

#1: Post by masoncw »

First lever machine I've gotten my hands on. Ordered some gaskets and a new shower screen. Any tips n tricks on servicing that I should know? Also looking to get a bottomless pf. I know that may require some modification. if anyone has suggestions on the closest fit, that would be great. I'll post more pictures once I clean the guts.

SimonPatrice

#2: Post by SimonPatrice »

Let us know how you like the Mini Gaggia, I've always been intrigued by that machine. Is it as small as it looks?

Off topic question, is that an avocado plant on the windowsill?
Patrice
LMWDP #428

Advertisement
masoncw (original poster)

#3: Post by masoncw (original poster) »

The base just takes up roughly 9"x8". Still smaller than it looks. I've been blessed with all four plastic feet in mint condition. Even with the small form factor, it's extremely stable and doesn't bend or creak from the base.

And yes, that is an avocado plant! my girlfriend grew it from seed midsummer and it has really taken off.

masoncw (original poster)

#4: Post by masoncw (original poster) »

Haven't been terribly expedient in posting my mini gaggia findings but I figured this may help future users.

Finding a perfect portafilter fit for this machine isn't gonna happen, just put in some labor in and lop some ears off. Espresso parts(looks like I bought the last one) had this pf handle "for old gaggia equipment" with square handle for 30 bucks. Came in the mail today and has a few size and shape differences.

Original pf handle vs Replacement
-18mm ear "length" VS -29mm ear "length"
-4.5mm ear thickness VS -5.5mm ear thickness
-9mm ear width/protrusion VS -9mm width
-3mm wall thickness VS -5mm wall thickness
-non threaded spout VS - threaded
-61 internal diameter VS 61 internal diameter

Despite the size difference I can fit the new head into my machine with not much effort, I just can't rack it to six o'clock

Tomorrow im taking a Dremel to the ears and may lop the bottom off with a drill press while I'm at it