Redbird Yirg Aricha

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cmin

#1: Post by cmin »

Get some.... holy fruit bomb, but in a good way, not like a light roasted fruity ones that taste like old fermented rotten lemons squeezed in your mouth. Forgot what the tasting notes were on the site, so been pulling it for a few days and strawberry jam and chocolate is what I keep getting, yup notes mention chocolate and berry/jammy fruit.... no doubt there, This stuff is delicious straight or in milk, that jammy fruit taste comes through the milk which is rare as usually those notes are lost easily in milk. Just made an ice drink with it and a shot, so good.

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

Red Bird's Ethiopians have always been nicely roasted, along with their various Brazilians. That Daterra peaberry available now looks interesting.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
cmin (original poster)

#3: Post by cmin (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

I ordered it, couldn't really get it dialed in, it just pulled like you were using stale beans. Like no nice thick flowing extraction. The Yirg Aricha is excellent though. I got it to taste ok one day, and then after that point the peaberry pulled as if it were stale. Your talking about the Brazil Moka Peaberry right?

Yirg Aricha I dialed in at 20g today and pulled between 30-40g out, seems forgiving of dose, and is delicious. Got their Yirg Idido and HueHue Catuai Honey in the freezer right now.

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

cmin wrote:Your talking about the Brazil Moka Peaberry right?
Nope, this one. About a year ago, I tried a pound of the Moka brewed in a press pot, and I recall it as quite pleasant when it was updosed a bit and laced with milk, but not remarkable enough to reorder. I've always tended to like Daterra-sourced beans, including RedBird's Sweet Blue, and I'd expect the Peaberry to be pretty interesting.
- John

LMWDP # 577

cmin (original poster)

#5: Post by cmin (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

This is the one I ordered https://redbirdcoffee.com/collections/c ... a-peaberry , really couldn't get it dialed and by 7th day after roast it pulled completely like you'd expect stale beans to pull, no thick slow even tiger striping pull... just thin and blond and spraying/channeling. Even updosing to 21g didn't matter.

Yirg Aricha I'm loving though, especially after redialing at 20g, absolutely delicious making iced milk drinks as that jammy fruit note manages to punch through milk.

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

I don't have an espresso machine but I love good Ethiopian naturals.

How dark is the Redbird Yirg Aricha roasted? I've seen some comments in the past suggesting they roast a bit on the darker side for non-espresso use.

Corradobrit

#7: Post by Corradobrit »

cmin wrote: HueHue Catuai Honey in the freezer right now.
\

Have you tried this yet as an espresso?

Advertisement
cmin (original poster)

#8: Post by cmin (original poster) replying to Corradobrit »

Been pulling it past few days, like it.