Josuma Malabar Gold or RedBird Espresso? - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IMAWriter

#61: Post by IMAWriter »

chipman wrote:As a single member household who has been a longtime customer of Redbird (5lb orders) and more recently Josuma MG.I can assure you have nothing to worry about.
+1.
WW, if you're not a "fruit-a-holic' you will love MG. GREAT coffee for milk drinks. You should see little or ZERO oil on the beans. Dr Joseph John is a legend, and for a very good reason.
If you don't enjoy MG, feel free to PM me, or any others here, and we'll gladly take the remainder off your hands!!!!

Note to WW...I had a nice laugh with your description of 2#s of MG being swallowed by your shop vac. :lol:

WWBeagle

#62: Post by WWBeagle »

Thanks Rob and Steve.

I think the events of the last week have me frustrated. On the same day, I switched over to a new-to-me restored machine, new baskets, new burrs, new softener and filter system. I have thrown away many many shots. At least they are sorted before the new MG arrives.

I knew I could count on fellow HBers to find a good home for the MG if it does not work out. :lol: I am sure it will be great.

I teach furniture restoration part time. We teach students not to use a shop vac for risk of sucking up parts and broken pieces. Yet, I think I am smarter than my students, and use a vac to clean off my bench in the home shop. Never fails, I am sifting with my fingers through the dust bin to collect tools and screws.

JFDUP

#63: Post by JFDUP »

Any Canadians ordering from Redbird or MG? I see that Redbird offers shipping with UPS to Canada. Any idea of the time it takes to reach Canada? I live about an hour from the US border so my other option (and something I do every couple of weeks) is to get the order shipped to the border and go pick it up there.

slybarman

#64: Post by slybarman »

slybarman wrote:FWIW, I ordered a pound of Malabar Gold from Whole Latte love. They claim to roast it to Josuma's specifications. I found it to be over-roasted as well. It improved slightly with time post-roast, but not to the point I would order it again. It was also quite oily.

<image>
I just received 5 lbs of MG direct from Josuma and having compared both I can say that WLL's Malabar Gold is fairly close to Josuma's. The beans from Josuma do have a small amount of oil on them but not as much as the ones from WLL did. WLL's were roasted darker than Josuma's, though I imagine that can vary batch-to-batch.

I did not like the MG from WLL at first but it did improve significantly as it rested post-roast (much more than it had at the time of my post above). The difference was more pronounced than other coffees I've tried over the years. The beans I got from Josuma still need to rest a few more days as well and I expect they will similarly improve.

I would say WLL is a viable option for somebody that wants to try MG and only wants to buy a one pound rather than 5 to at least get a sense of the flavor.

Below are photos for comparison. First photo is MG from WLL, second is MG from Josuma.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by JohnB. »

I guess it varies by the roast. None of the beans in the 5lb bag I got from Josuma showed any oil when I received the bag & none was showing when I froze them 7 days post roast.
LMWDP 267

Balthazar_B

#66: Post by Balthazar_B »

Ditto, JohnB. I've been enjoying my frozen stash of JMG, though recently have been on a detour with Nicoletti's espresso blend (which is good in its own right). People reading this thread may be interested in trying that out, since it's pretty much in the same general flavor/style wheelhouse as JMG and Redbird.
- John

LMWDP # 577

slybarman

#67: Post by slybarman »

JohnB. wrote:I guess it varies by the roast. None of the beans in the 5lb bag I got from Josuma showed any oil when I received the bag & none was showing when I froze them 7 days post roast.
I imagine that is so and I am curious whether another bag from WLL would prove as oily as the first?

IMAWriter

#68: Post by IMAWriter replying to slybarman »

Why not just order direct from Josuma? You do NOT have to purchase a 5# bag. Just order 2#s. Let it rest at least 8-9 days. Days 11-18 work best for me.

slybarman

#69: Post by slybarman replying to IMAWriter »

I did not see that as an option.

IMAWriter

#70: Post by IMAWriter »

slybarman wrote:I did not see that as an option.

<image>
Apologies. I just order the 5# bags. I think it's because he does so much commercial business?